One thing I have wanted to learn ever since we got married was to make yummy dinner rolls from scratch. I have attempted one or two recipes per year ever since (that's 10 years of seriously crappy rolls). Every time I ended up throwing the batch out and vowing that I would never attempt it again. Its such a waste of time & ingredients when yeast recipes don't turn out. Super frustrating too. So the last time I tried what I said would be my very last recipe ever. It looked promising and had great reviews. They never rose up big and fluffy and the real kicker was when my kids asked why I don't just make "Grandma's rolls" (She uses Rhodes). So, feeling defeated, I bought the biggest bag of Rhode's rolls at the grocery store and tried convincing myself to be content with those. They are easy & delicious, but I was super disappointed that I couldn't accomplish my goal. A few months later, I decided to try one last recipe.
...and they actually turned out. Big, moist, buttery, melt in your mouth...the most delicious rolls I have ever eaten! I had a grin ear to ear the rest of the day. Don't know why, but this was something I needed to learn, and it felt so good to learn it.
p.s. I used butter instead of margarine, let them rise for an hour instead of 30 minutes on the last raise, and increased the salt to 1 1/2 t. Also, when they come out of the oven, I brush the tops with melted butter. Oh, and I rolled them the Lion House way.


5 comments:
gimme gimme!!
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. melt in your mouth good?! congrats on a job well done. they look scrumptious!!!
I seriously want to lick my monitor right now...those look so yummy!
Yummy! I am going to attempt it one day soon!
Congrats on accomplishing your goal :)
You know I am TOTALLY trying these since I am all too familiar with your roll pain (but not nearly as ambitious, considering I've had a constant supply of Rhodes in my freezer for the past 5 years). Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment