Monday, January 17, 2011

{my new ghetto back seat}.

i woke up to kosty shoving a dollar bill in my face and demanding that i take him to buy something. When I objected, he ripped my pillow out from under me, punched my arm a few times, pulled my covers off and screamed at me. I could tell it was going to be a terrible horrible no good very bad day....

since it was a day off from school, we had planned on doing something fun together. included in our plans: mattress shopping, not super exciting, but necessary, both of their mattresses are very old & shot. they were really excited to pick out the new ones. on the way there, kosty again asked if he could spend his dollar. i said it would depend on his behavior the rest of the day since he had started off super grumpy. he didn't appreciate my answer and began screaming and chucking his shoes at me from the back seat. then he actually ripped the back panel off of my seat! oh my, i was {thisclose} to punching his lights out. i immediately took away his stupid DS, grounded him from it, screamed at him, and grabbed his arm really hard...my teeth were clenched hard and i was absolutely livid and ready to attack. like out-of-control-mad.

once i calmed down, we arrived and picked out the mattresses. after i paid for them, kosty asked which one i got. when i showed it to him, he screamed, "I HATE THAT MATTRESS!!!!" he punched it a few times and then stormed out. what an ungrateful little brat. again, i wanted to smack him real hard. at this point, i was ready to call it a day and take him home and put him in time out for the rest of the day, but there was Brayden. and it was his day off too. and he was super excited to go to lunch and the park. at the park, kosty threw yet another fit. once that was over, he played a little and then we went home. the second we walked in the door, he started to scream/whine about watching tv. then he scream whined about a popsicle.

then we had to pick up jer, and he was playing with my phone. he got frustrated a few times and so i said that the next time he kicked my seat or whined, i would take it away. of course he whined again, and so i followed through and took it away. again, with a major fit. this time he actually leaned forward in his seat enough to grab the back of my neck and pinch it hard. then he took off his shoes and threw them at me again, and then he unbuckled his seat belt. i was more than ticked. i pulled over and got the seat belt handled, and he screamed bloody murder the whole way home. he also screamed that he wanted a different mommy a few times, and then he even screamed, "I HATE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!" that was a first for him. brayden was cringing in the seat next to him and plugging his ears. he screamed so much that he actually fell asleep right as we arrived. hallefreakinlujah. i brought him in carefully, and quietly started to put him in bed. of course he woke up and started screaming that he didn't want to go to bed yet. of course.

fast forward, he ate a ton of food for dinner, brushed his teeth and asked for jer to read him a story. he was SO past tired and he knew it. as i was walking past his room later, he called out to me. "Mommy? can you lay with me?" I did. And, as his eyes were closing, he wrapped both of his arms around me and fell asleep.

instantly, my heart was full of forgiveness and love for him. instantly, i forgot about how angry i had been, how frustrating the day had been, and how sad and hopeless i had felt.

I couldn't help but think of our Heavenly Father looking down on all of us. How sometimes our words and actions must really hurt him... But how if we will just put forth a little bit of effort, a little "I'm sorry"....he is ready to forgive us instantly.

and i'm so thankful for that.

tomorrow will be better. i know it can't be worse!

6 comments:

Jenna Lee said...

First....I lobe Brayden...he is soo sweet, I loved the card!! Next I can't believe the day got worse after I talked to you, I actually laughed out loud when I read the part about him pinching you in the neck...he scares me because I am pretty sure I am going to have one just like him! i agree sometimes after the worst day with Braxton all he has to do is cuddle with me and I forget everything!! And lastly I can't wait for our date Friday...it is much needed!!

Lynsi said...

Luckily as moms we can all share our experiences, because we all have days like that ( and have our certain kids) that make us feel more frustrated and upset than ever! My second one can be a handful too! I keep telling myself that her strong willed personality will turn out to be a good thing (fingers crossed!) You're such a great mom to those adorable boys of yours!~ thanks for sharing!

Brittney said...

man! what a day!! i had a rough day with libby, I actually put soap in her mouth. she was so sad. she was talking back, and telling me what to do, so as i put her in time out and turned around, she stuck out her tongue at me. thats it!!! soap in her mouth for sure!! she bawled and when it was bed time and she asked for a song to be sang, i sang 3. i laid with her till she fell asleep. i forgive her. shes my baby!!

Stefanie said...

whoa. let's do a behavior intervention plan on this child. stat.

J said...

Oh, both your boys are little sweethearts. Kids have bad days. Just like us. You are so right to point that out! I loved how you tied it all together at the end, it's so true! Thanks for sharing. When Eli gets older and starts throwing fits I know I will have other Moms to console with.

foreveryoung said...

Oh man. This is one post you are definately going to have to save and let him read when he's older and has a kid just like this. He may not always show you love in the traditional ways, but his own little way is just as sweet.