Wednesday, October 10, 2007
sweet surprise & terrifying tractors
Tonight we were pleasantly surprised by some of the youth in our ward stopping by to give us a cute Halloween box full of candy & some notes from the kids in our Sunday School class. One of the notes said, "...thank you for accepting your calling to be my Sunday School teachers. I love your strategy & the way you connect with us. Your a great inspiration, & a wonderful example to us all." Written by a 13 year old girl from our class! I love how she said "strategy" since we pretty much have NONE! We do so LOVE our class. Pretty much since we have been married we have had the same calling as Sunday School teachers for the 13+ year olds (approx. 6 yrs!) ... this particular class is AMAZING in their knowledge of the gospel & I feel nothing but inadequate as their teacher, they have taught me so much more than I could ever teach them. Although I have a strong testimony of the gospel, I struggle with church history & actual doctrine, I know nothing. Which is why I have been put into this calling, I'm sure. At times our tiny classroom has 16 kids, it is CRAMPED, and they are ROWDY. But I feel blessed to be their teacher & to have Jer with me. They are truly examples of teenagers striving to do what is right in times like these. They give me so much hope for my boys & that if they will continue to strengthen their testimonies they too will turn out as wonderful as these kids have...
On another note, tonight after I put Kosty in his crib (after the same usual routine) he was crying & crying, which he hardly ever does, so after a few minutes I went in there to check on him. I ask him whats wrong, & he precedes to get more hysterical so I pick him up. His frightened little eyes are frantically darting all around the room. "Whats the matter?" I repeat. Finally, sobbing, through big tears, he musters out the word, "trac-to." and points to the window. Which gives me an instant flashback. A few weeks ago, in the middle of the night, I awoke to him balling out of nowhere. I rush in his room & there he is standing, making his "scared arms" and says, "trac-to?" OH. Okay. I get it, he is terrified of TRACTORS. Apparently he has been having nightmares about them? Hmmm. So I calm the sweet boy down when I say, "there's no tractors in here. There are no tractors outside. You are safe. All the tractors are sleeping." He whines, "oooo-kkkkkay." Mystery solved. What a strange fear, dontcha think? And isn't he a little young for nightmares??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Oh! That makes me sad for Kosty! His scared arms. How sweet is he! Speaking of sweet, you SS class! It is so nice feeling appreciated. You and Jer are probably the best teachers ever!!!! I loved teaching primary, you do learn a lot studying.
Do you think Koston's fear has anything to do with the scary tractor-like thing in the movie "Cars"? I know my boys call it the monster tractor.
Just a thought.
ok that is hilarious that he hates tractors! what a random fear! that is so awesome that you were remembered and appreciated by your SS class! how sweet!
i didnt know you and jer taught the class together, thats so wonderful that you are teaching them and they are teaching you right back, at first i thought you were gonna say the parent wrote that card, but i bet a 13 yr old would say those things. being 13 isnt like when we were kids anymore, these kids grow up too fast. how sad for kosty to have a nightmare, does he have a night light in his room? maybe you should get him a toy tractor so he can be familiar with one and know its just a toy and not scary! at least he was able to say it, and you understood what he was saying! i love his "oooookkkkkk" its way too cute.
Crazy what kids are afraid of - we need to get Kosty and Coen together to educate Kosty on how cool tractors are...Coen is OBSESSED with them - and he names every "big machine" and explains what they do. We will be driving down the road and he will see one and he tells me Mom, there's a roller compacter with a heavy metal drum it flattens the ground. But at the same time if he hears a loud high pitch whistle or noise he crumples in a ball and cries hysterically. Go figure.
What a great class you have (not to mention quite the intellects), how thoughtful! It's nice to feel appreciated. I always think it's funny how people get put in the same callings all the time even in a different ward. Somebody must know that you guys are the perfect teachers for that age group :) And poor Kosty! Nothing breaks my heart more than when my kids wake up with nightmares. That's sweet that he trusts you enough to know that everything will be okay!
Sounds like you have an awesome class. What a blessing.
Poor little Kosty. Nighmares are no fun. Is it from Cars?
Poor little guy, Kale really struggles with nightmares as well. It is so sad to me that they have such horrible dreams. Hopefully that won't last long.
How neat that you guys teach that class together. That would be so hard to me.
Post a Comment