Monday, October 22, 2007

*Schnowflake*

What a fun weekend we had! We went up to Snowflake to visit my Mom and it was the best weekend I have had in a while! We were so spoiled & pampered all weekend, now its back to reality! Good thing the rest of the weekend made up for the INSANELY MISERABLE drive up. I almost pulled my hair out. My kids were better behaved on the SIX hour drive to Cali this summer, than this measly 2.5 hour drive. I was unjustly tortured in between Thing 1 and Thing 2, or "Overactive Bladder/are-we-there-yet-kid" and "Crazy-screaming-for-no-reason -kid" who repeated "Snowflake... cold... Snowflake...cold..." the entire way there. Then he demanded to wear his jacket in the warm car. Telling him NO backfired, so somehow I managed to get the DANG jacket on without undoing his car seat straps! It took some major finagling, but somehow I accomplished the task! DON'T be fooled by his smile in that picture, he is such a FAKER! I made Brayden go pee RIGHT before we left, and he had to pee again before we were even out of Mesa, & then again just outside of Payson!!! Grrr! We FINALLY got there Friday night & my mom had warm chili & cornbread for us, we were FREEZING, STARVING & GRUMPY, so it hit the spot. We let the kids play for a while & finally crashed late that night. The next morning, we got lucky again & had waffles & my FAVORITE comfort food, Cream of Wheat with extra sugar & "lumpies." Then we went to a real Pumpkin Patch, it was cold & windy, but the kids loved picking pumpkins, and I was AMAZED by these ginormous sunflowers everywhere, they were like 6 ft tall--and COVERED in sunflower seeds, imagine that! I am such a deprived city girl, I didn't even know that's how sunflower seeds grow. Am I the only idiot?? I guess I never really thought about it, but I found it rather fascinating, and they were really tasty too!



Then we went back to the house for the arrival of my sisters, niece, & brother. It was "the original 4" (meaning my siblings before my parents got remarried) it was like old times again & we had fun catching up. The boys played basketball & my mom made us turkey/avocado/bacon sandwiches for lunch. Then we all chatted and then took naps. Jer woke up & looked out the window to see my Mom & my brother (with a ponytail in his hair) racing quads up the mountain, he was cracking up, I wish I coulda saw that one! So then we all went quad riding, SO MUCH FUN!! My mom lives in the middle of nowhere, so you are free to just roam wherever you want. That night we went out to dinner, then came back & carved pumpkins, baked sugar cookies, and got ready for a "brain beatin" as my Mom called it, and played 'Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader?' in which case some of us found out we were not!





On Sunday, we all went to church in the morning, my little brother Chase was in the primary program, so we got to watch him. Then, we came back & my Mom treated us to brunch with baked french toast, sausage, & fruit salad. Lucky us, and what better way to end a delicious meal than with another afternoon NAP! YAY! :) the boys played the Wii and we just hung out and tried to digest before we were served yet another meal before our departure. This time Mom made roasted chicken, fresh green beans, rolls, and then we had an early celebration for Braydens b-day (since they wont be down next weekend for his real one) and she made homemade flourless chocolate cake & whipped cream. MMMM. I'm tellin ya, we were SPOILED ROTTEN. Then we said our goodbyes :( & drove home. It was a much needed relaxing, delicious, and fun weekend. Did I mention that her guest bed is the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in? huge fluffy pillows, warm down comforter & the softest sheets ever. I am really gonna miss it! I LOVE MY FAM. Thanks SO much Mom!!!



15 comments:

Swirls of Happy said...

How FUN!!!! I love the pics...I can't believe that sunflower, that is crazy! And no, you're not an idiot, I have never thought about it either :) ANyway, sounds like you guys ate like royalty...My stomache is growling right now!

Brooklyn said...

Oh yeah! I'm glad it was a blast! Did you get home yesterday? How is the laundry?! All your pictures are so cute. I'm glad justin and everyone got to go! I'm glad you had fun at Shnepfs too. ps, did you bring me back some cake? If not you better make me some :)

Crystal Caldwell said...

How fun I love getting together with the family. And holy moly that flower was on steroids.

Suni said...

What a fun trip!! You were spoiled by your mom....thats the best!! Sounds like your drive up there was like our recent drive back. Abby puked 5 times on the way home! It was making me crazy!!! Cute pics!!

Bekah: said...

your mom's house is so gorgeous and i have ALWAYS thought she was an amazing cook! she is so sweet! wow, you were soooo spoiled. all that yummy food and fun times. i bet your mom LOVED having you all there!

Michelle Y. said...

I am hungry just reading your blog. Aren't mom's the best, I love to go home to my moms cooking, she watches my kids while I take a nap too. I already miss being there and I was just there last week. Can't wait for Brayden's b-day, that sounds like fun!

Jaime S. said...

sounds like a great time. I know it means a lot to your mom when you guys head her way.

Angie Whitman said...

Hey, thanks for the invite. I LOVE your blog. Especially reading your post about Brayden. What amazing thoughts he has! I love when my girls can put things so simply and honest. Children really are pure in heart.
Oh, and aren't the yw in our ward AMAZING! They are constantly teaching me or showing me how I need to be better.
Really, thanks for letting me read your blog. :)

Tawny Antelman said...

Brayden looks like a grown boy in the last picture with the button up shirt, handsome!! haha

Brittney said...

chelly, i had fun, we need to do it again in feb or march 08. k?
glad you went, and glad we all went. it was fun, its so funny the older we get the more we appreciate the little things like napping, eating, and being around family. good times.

foreveryoung said...

It's your slacker friend here...what an awesome and relaxing vacation. Minus the car trip up, which sounds an awful lot like my own "thing one and thing two" right now! (you can't deny it, you saw them in action yesterday!). I am drooling right now over your mom's cooking...especially since I haven't been grocery shopping in forever and right now I've resorted to eating my beloved tomato sandwich on a hamburger bun. I would not recommend it. Anyways, I'm glad you had such a fun getaway and enjoyed spending time with your fam!

Kristin said...

It sounds like you had an awesome weekend! Hearing you talk about home and the cooking and the sleeping really makes me want to be home too! I do not look forward to the car ride at all so I'll settle for Thanksgiving!

Stefanie said...

yeayah...GOOD TIMES!! that trip will go down in history books! glorious glorious!
mmmBOPP!
i'm still sad about me and kosty's unstable relationship though..
WHY DOES HE DESPISE ME??!!?!
what did i EVER do to deserve this!!!?!
am i not worthy of his love?
i couldn't get him to stop GROWLING at me!!!!
that little coyote/werewolf..
i feel dejected.
KOSTY I WANT YOU BACK!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful weekend! Looks so beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Oh yea- I loved the pictures from the car! Looks like me on our family vacations! They are soo hard!