*WARNING!* I am hesitant to post this because it is so personal, but since this is my "journal" here goes. I am feeling rarely super emotional right now, but feeling the need to record some of the things Brayden has said to me lately.
I SURELY would never want to forget any of it.
I took him on a date on Saturday. We went to Walmart & a few other places. While in one store, he looked around & noticed we were its only customers. He said, "this place is kind of spooky, cause no one is even here." He sure speaks the truth. At the start of the date I reminded him to be a gentleman & hold my hand & open doors for me. He did. It was so wonderful. As I buckled him in, he told me that he wanted to tell me something when I got in the car. So I went around to the driver's side & as I was getting in, he said, "Mama, watch your step." Then he asked if that was a "gentleman". On the date we went to a pond & he had a great idea of throwing rocks into the water & making wishes. I loved hearing all of the things he wished for. Some of the ones that stick out in my mind are, "I wish that I could be the coolest kid." "I wish that I wasn't afraid of dogs anymore." "I wish that Chase could move back to Arizona so I could play with him." "I wish that me & mama could go on more dates." Oh I almost forgot, "I wish I could be 8 so I could get baptized." It was a really special moment. Just him & I together, making wishes.
One thing we did was get the party favors to make his birthday party bags. I explained to him that the Bowling Alley wanted to charge us $50 extra for party bags. So I told him we could make them ourselves & save some money. When we were done I looked at the receipt & told him that they wanted $50 but that we did it ourselves for around $10. He said, "Why don't you use the $50 to go to your ballet class." Ok, balling like a baby now. Because a few weeks ago he asked me when he could come to watch my ballet class. I told him that I hadn't been doing it because my favorite teacher is not there anymore plus I am trying to save money right now (since Jer is starting a new business) I cannot believe that he thought of me right at that moment. And that he would remember about the ballet converation that we had weeks ago & that he was concerned for me to use the money that we saved for my class.
Oh yes, and we ran into this crazy cashier lady, that has now turned into our family joke. Sweet lady, really. Just hilariously-odd. A true one-of-a-kind. She repeatedly says, "Heck ya! By golly! Now we're cookin' with gas!" to every customer, over & over. I swear. Those same 3 phrases. It is so hard to keep a straight face. Anyways, on our way home from our very first encounter with her, we were laughing so hard & after lots of practice, Brayden had it down perfect. So when I spotted her this time, I could only imagine Brayden saying something like "You're the one!" or whatever. So I whispered in his ear to not say anything about it to her, because it might hurt her feelings, & to just listen for it! Sure enough she said it to us, and everyone else too.
Later that night as I was tucking him in, I was telling him what a fun time I had with him & we were recapping our adventures. We talked about the desolate store, and then I mentioned that it was sad that there was no one in there because that meant nobody was buying anything. He said, "Yeah... and that means the workers won't get any money." Then his sweet eyes lit up as he said, "I KNOW! we could have a Lemonade stand & give all the money to the workers." Again I am tearing up. Then we talked about the funny "heck ya -by golly-now we're cookin' with gas" lady again. He said, "Mama, I don't want to make fun of her. Even though she isn't even here & she can't hear us." Tears again. Sorry, I am a blubbering fool right now, but Brayden is truly a special spirit. He is so incredibly insightful, intellectual, compassionate, and loving. It is amazing what an example he is to me, and I know it should be the other way around. He certainly can put me in my place & if I could only be more like him, I would be a better person. I am so blessed to have him in my life and that he is my son.
I took him on a date on Saturday. We went to Walmart & a few other places. While in one store, he looked around & noticed we were its only customers. He said, "this place is kind of spooky, cause no one is even here." He sure speaks the truth. At the start of the date I reminded him to be a gentleman & hold my hand & open doors for me. He did. It was so wonderful. As I buckled him in, he told me that he wanted to tell me something when I got in the car. So I went around to the driver's side & as I was getting in, he said, "Mama, watch your step." Then he asked if that was a "gentleman". On the date we went to a pond & he had a great idea of throwing rocks into the water & making wishes. I loved hearing all of the things he wished for. Some of the ones that stick out in my mind are, "I wish that I could be the coolest kid." "I wish that I wasn't afraid of dogs anymore." "I wish that Chase could move back to Arizona so I could play with him." "I wish that me & mama could go on more dates." Oh I almost forgot, "I wish I could be 8 so I could get baptized." It was a really special moment. Just him & I together, making wishes.
One thing we did was get the party favors to make his birthday party bags. I explained to him that the Bowling Alley wanted to charge us $50 extra for party bags. So I told him we could make them ourselves & save some money. When we were done I looked at the receipt & told him that they wanted $50 but that we did it ourselves for around $10. He said, "Why don't you use the $50 to go to your ballet class." Ok, balling like a baby now. Because a few weeks ago he asked me when he could come to watch my ballet class. I told him that I hadn't been doing it because my favorite teacher is not there anymore plus I am trying to save money right now (since Jer is starting a new business) I cannot believe that he thought of me right at that moment. And that he would remember about the ballet converation that we had weeks ago & that he was concerned for me to use the money that we saved for my class.
Oh yes, and we ran into this crazy cashier lady, that has now turned into our family joke. Sweet lady, really. Just hilariously-odd. A true one-of-a-kind. She repeatedly says, "Heck ya! By golly! Now we're cookin' with gas!" to every customer, over & over. I swear. Those same 3 phrases. It is so hard to keep a straight face. Anyways, on our way home from our very first encounter with her, we were laughing so hard & after lots of practice, Brayden had it down perfect. So when I spotted her this time, I could only imagine Brayden saying something like "You're the one!" or whatever. So I whispered in his ear to not say anything about it to her, because it might hurt her feelings, & to just listen for it! Sure enough she said it to us, and everyone else too.
Later that night as I was tucking him in, I was telling him what a fun time I had with him & we were recapping our adventures. We talked about the desolate store, and then I mentioned that it was sad that there was no one in there because that meant nobody was buying anything. He said, "Yeah... and that means the workers won't get any money." Then his sweet eyes lit up as he said, "I KNOW! we could have a Lemonade stand & give all the money to the workers." Again I am tearing up. Then we talked about the funny "heck ya -by golly-now we're cookin' with gas" lady again. He said, "Mama, I don't want to make fun of her. Even though she isn't even here & she can't hear us." Tears again. Sorry, I am a blubbering fool right now, but Brayden is truly a special spirit. He is so incredibly insightful, intellectual, compassionate, and loving. It is amazing what an example he is to me, and I know it should be the other way around. He certainly can put me in my place & if I could only be more like him, I would be a better person. I am so blessed to have him in my life and that he is my son.

15 comments:
That was a super sweet post chels! I love hearing all of your brayden stories...he is a cutie. :)
Brayden really is a sweetie. I just have to tell you yesterday in Primary he was so cute! We were talking about helping, giving and serving. The kids were mentioning some people who serve us like the Bishop and family and then Brayden piped up and said totally serious, "Jesus serves us and I really want to meet him!" What a great little guy you have!
That is so SWEET! There is nothing better than having those special moments with our kids!
What a special memory for both of you, I'm sure Brayden will remember that day just as much as you will. He really has been blessed with such a thoughtful personality, but he is also blessed to have a mom like you to teach him these things as well. This world definately needs some good strong, spiritual, thoughtful GENTLEMEN, and Heavenly Father knew that you would be the perfect mom to teach these things, so he blessed you with 2 adorable boys! We need more moms like you!
awww braydens my favorite little boyfriend:) tell him Hi for me and i want a play date with him sometime soon, i miss him!! i have some cute pictures of him i need to give you from california!
Chels, I am tearing up over this post. You and Jeremy do an amazing job with those boys. And Jamie is right, Heavenly Father needs these future missionaries in these scary times. Brayden really is a sweet spirit and special boy. You are both so lucky to have eachother! :) :) :)
Ok, I really don't know what to say but that was the sweetest story! What a special little man and what a good mom you are to take him on a special date :) You and Jeremy have always been so strong in the church and such a good example to those around you which is why your children are the same and why you have been so blessed with the sweet spirits as your sons. Thank you for posting this...very sweet!!!!
omgosh! i have tears in my eyes. that was the sweetest day! he is so special, but i honestly think he is this way because of YOU! you are the sweetest, most wonderful mom, and i admire you so much. your kids are a reflection of you and what you teach them. he is SO special and wonderful, and that was the best story i ever read.
Chelsea I love the stories you write about your boys. You have inspired me to write more of them down. I am working on one right now, so stay tooned. Boys are so special and I can't wait for my Kruzie to start talking so that I can have those special mom and son times. thanks for the post
This is such a sweet story- and the kind that makes me exciting to have sweet kids and not just scared! By watching Bekah I really see that kids learn so much from their parents! You must be a great example!
What a sweet boy! I am getting emotional now. I am so glad you are recording all of these sweet moments so you can always remember them.
What a sweet little boy. He just seems so thoughtful and insightful! Keep wrinting these things down. I love hearing these stories and it is so good to have it written down 'cause if you're anything like me I forget the things within a day!
oh wow, that was such a beautiful post. you are a really talented writer and obviously a great Mom to be raising such a sweet, funny, kind son! as a mom of a girl it is nice to know sons are being raised like that!
you are awesome! thanks for sharing, you made me cry i was so touched.
I love all of the comments Brayden made! Could he have said anything sweeter in this post! Opening the door for his Momma? I love it! I hope one day my girls will find someone who is going to treat them right "Because their Momma taught them that!" (okay another famous rap song) Great job and such a touching post! I love your "ramblings.":)
I must say that I was tearing up a little bit just hearing those stories. What a sweet little boy you have!
Post a Comment