Kosty is a perfectionist and if he can't do it perfect the first time, he gives up. This is why he hates the learning to read process. "Sounding things out" is really frustrating to him. He refuses to even sound out the words out loud and only does them in his head. Then when he thinks it will sound perfect coming out, he says it. Its been a challenge trying to help him, needless to say. This summer I decided every day after lunch we would have 30 minutes of reading time. He dreaded it and half the time so did I, because of his attitude. But I knew he needed practice and I had to nail him down with a schedule or it wasn't happening. Some days he would just flip through books in silence, and some days he would read a whole book, and some days I would just ask him to read a couple pages. Every day was different depending on his temperament. Hop on Pop was the first book he sat down and read totally on his own and every page. I gotta hand it to Dr Seuss for making such easy to read books, but most of them are so LONG! 60+ pages in Hop on Pop, Cat in the Hat, and Green Eggs and Ham. That's a lot of pages for a short attention span! Anyway, it was an exciting milestone, but as you can see, he tried to hide any emotion or joy in his face when I brought out the camera. He wanted just a picture of his face behind the book but I wasn't having it and so you see the second (glum) attempt.


1 comment:
You were hand picked to be Kosty's mom. I know you have your struggles, but I love how you are always trying to think a step ahead of him and the way you figure out what works and what doesn't. Our after lunch reading time lasted 3 days, sad. Way to stay consistant, it totally paid off. Such a big milestone for little Kosty!
Post a Comment