Thursday, February 12, 2009

perserverence

I had to teach Brayden this word, he certainly earned it. Last week, he reported that his teacher said that nobody can move up to first grade if they didn't know how to tie their shoes, and so far only 5 kids in the class knew how. Oh boy. The pressure was on. He was bound and determined, and he finally got it. I had no idea how much patience would be tried. Not to mention frustration on both ends, but me of course hiding mine as to not escalate his. Poor little guy, it is so hard to teach that coordination. The night before, we were at Grandma's, and I was trying to teach him, it wasn't working, so Grandma gave it a try, as did Grandpa, as did Aunt Cede. I never knew there were so many ways to tie shoes! I've seen 5 different ways now! It turns out Daddy had the magic touch. His special way, and his teaching style was all Brayden needed. Kosty was standing near and instructing me how to be a cheerleader. He said, "ok, now say YAAAAAYYYY Bubba!!" Brayden requested a can of Sprite as his reward. HALLELUJAH!! We can all unload the bricks off our backs now, it feels so good!aww, with little brother looking on, the very moment he realized he had just done it. Can't you feel the joy?

classic Brayden. such a goofball. {FYI: he reminds me of a teenager when he drinks soda from a can}.


3 comments:

foreveryoung said...

I love how you totally captured all of his emotions in those pictures. What a big milestone, although what kind of threat was his teacher giving?? It's not like they're going to hold him back just because he can't tie his shoes...oh well, as long as it helped motivate him!

Angie Whitman said...

um, could Brayden come over and teach my 1st grader how to tie her shoes....and button her jeans? Oh, she drives me batty every morning!

Tawny Antelman said...

hahaha i love brayden! His last picture is so cute and hes getting SOOOO tall!!!!!!!!! Hes going to out grow me before I know it! Thats funny that you think he looks like such an older boy cuz he drinks out of a can.. hahaha

YAY bray, good job on tieing your shoes :)