Sunday, September 23, 2007

Favorite TV chefs

(last public post, I am still waiting on a few email adresses!)

Who doesn't love good food? I am grateful for parents that are both GREAT cooks, yes my Dad is too! They taught us to appreciate good food. I remember growing up and all of us being SO excited for 'Artichoke Night', and we really looked forward to Dad's brussel sprouts too. Oh and my Dad used to own a steak sandwich shop, a VERY long time ago, but he still treats us to the BEST steak sandwiches on special occasions. My mom has always made the best breakfasts too. Cream cheese danish & hot cocoa, or Cream of Wheat in the winter, or crepes, french toast, etc. Anyways I LOVE to cook and I love trying new recipes, and watching the Food Network. I actually really enjoy 'reading' cookbooks too. Here are my all time fave Food Network chefs!
First up is Paula Deen. I just love her 'southern drawl' and she just seems so warm. Like you could just go walk in her home in Savannah and she'd just give you a big hug & fix you a yummy plate. She has an inspiring life story & she has the cutest personality too. And of course everything she makes LOOKS incredible. She is known for her love of butter (budda) and she has 2 handsome sons that still call her "Momma." I love Momma's boys! Try one of her recipes, you WILL NOT be disappointed!

Next is Ina Garten (aka the Barefoot Contessa) She actually used to work in the White House until she realized one day that she wanted to do something "creative." So she bought the Barefoot Contessa, a specialty food store, and she had a catering business. I love her because she is so sophisticated with her cooking. I like how she is all about the quality ingredients, example: she always says, "make sure you use a good vanilla". She also has quite the privileged life! She lives in the Hampton's and has fabulous parties every weekend at her fabulous home, or in her fabulous garden or on her fabulous beach. Oh, and she always uses the word FABULOUS. She's always entertaining some big important guest such as a an actor, publisher, garden lighting designer, or floral designer, and I find it rather amusing that all of her friends seem to be gay men. And I love how they always film her picking up fresh ingredients from different specialty food shops all over her posh little town. We certainly don't have those here!

20 comments:

foreveryoung said...

whoa, you totally just posted this as I was in the midst of perusing your blog. It must be the lull of a Sunday afternoon that inspires the blogger in us all!

foreveryoung said...

Okay, now I just read your post so I can comment on it. It looks like you definately inherited those chef skills, you can cook up a pretty mean dish yourself! Need I remind you who has changed my world of cookie making? Oh, and does the Tijuana version of Mexican Vanilla count as good quality Vanilla? (Yes, Melissa, I am well stocked :)

Brittney said...

i like paula dean, but she has some recipes that are a little much for me to make. mom got me her cook book last year.
its so funny you say our parents had us try good foods, because i didnt realize this until i was an adult and scott never had half the foods we ate as kids~ we must've been lucky. yes it is a lazy sunday afternoon, i am trying to upload a video of Libby and its TAKING FOREVER!! how long did it take you to put that one up of the boyz dancin? this is my 3rd time and i am about to surrender.

Brooklyn said...

Hello! Yes Chels, we are such good friends for many reasons, one being we love food and love to cook! I ALWAYS watch food network, it is basically on downstairs 24/7. Here are my top three chefs
Giada Delaurentis
Paula Deen
Barefoot Contessa(Michale Chiarello)tied for third.
I like this post! And by the way I LOVE you cooking and baking. :)

Brooklyn said...

ps I love Bobby Flay as well.

Brooklyn said...

Remember Ina's picnic in Paris with her hubby. She stopped at all the local farmers market picking up cheese, baguettes, produce and wine. So Fabulous!

Swirls of Happy said...

ok, I must be your long lost sister, because I am OBSESSED with the Food Network, and BOTH of those chefs! My favorites are Paula, Giada, and Ina!!! I am so jealous of all their kitches, and especially that Ina lives in the Hamptons...HELLO....lucky!!! I love Paula's southern draw...too cute...and when she has episodes where she cooks with her sons.

Stefanie said...

long live Paula Dean!!! yeeeeeeeeehaaaaaawwwww!!!

hobbitstar@yahoo.com

Brooklyn said...

ps. Yes Paula's sons are sooooo cute. Truley southern gentleman.

Randi said...

I love Ina! I want her house so bad. There is a house in Newport that looks just like hers (I told Nate to buy it for me). I think you need your own Food Network show. Everything I have tasted of yours is delicious and Sandy raves about your food too! Maybe you guys should have a show If not,it is randitrejo@hotmail.com

Crystal Caldwell said...

hey i want to continue to be your blog friend here is my email. cridds@hotmail.com

Becky said...

I love all of these chefs! you forgot Emeril! He is SO my favorite! :) Do you ever watch Iron Chef? that is my favorite show EVER! :)

Jodee said...

Hi Chelsea, it's Jodee, Jamie's friend. I thought I would come out of the blog stalking closet since I peek on your blog every once in a while. I have to know who is taking care of my Jamie for me while I am not there! Anyway, I too LOVE Paula Dean! Did you see her on Oprah? She was so funny!
You have such a sweet family, your boys are adorable! Take Care!

Chelsea said...

Becky-- I love Emeril, especially because I actually won 3rd prize in an Emeril Recipe Contest a couple yrs ago, and scored an awesome kitchen knife set!

Jodee-- Hey any friend of Jamie's is a friend of mine! thanks for comin out of the blog closet! :) Yes I did catch Paula on Oprah, and if I recall, food was flyin!

Anonymous said...

hey.... i totally want to keep up on yours.... kateylines@gmail.com

Becky said...

NO WAY! how freaking cool is that! :) Wow! you are my inspiration to learn to cook...hmm, can you teach me? I am know with my in-laws as the one that doesnt know how to cook! Teach me something cool so i can wow them all!

Seriously...i want to take cooking lessons from you! how much? :)

Michelle Y. said...

I am hungry just reading your blog. I love the food network too. My favorite is Robin Miller because her meals are quick and easy.

Sheba Price said...

Chels I love the post! I too love the food network and I think Paula Dean is great! I love Giada a lot, Bobby Flay is sooo cool, and I love love Sandra Lee because everything she makes is SEMI-HOMEMADE which translates to: the easier it is the better! Capiche? I like Sandra because I love to entertain and she does everything by a theme and I love love that! I also have done a few of Martha'a recipe's. I love her Everyday Food mag. It is like the Reader's Digest to me! I keep all of the ones I buy! Okay I could go on and on because I love to cook too, thanks to my Mom! We should talk!!:)

Melissa Stadler said...

I didn't know you cook too Chels! That is awesome and it sounds like you were spoiled growing up with 2 great chefs. Ok, I LOVE the FOOD NETWORK too! Paula and Ina are my favorites as well and they constantly inspire me to make really, really decadent food.

Hey, let's have a big 'ol party and swap all of our yummy food. Yes!

Rechelle said...

I LOVE to cook if it is new recipes and fresh and fancy products. We should do a recipe swap!!! By the way, I need your grilled cheese sandwich recipe...very tasty! rtrejo@cox.net