We sure cut it close this year, as we do every year. But this year we literally got home from Newport the night before school started. I love the year- round school here, minus the fact that it cuts so close to vacation every time.
We always miss "Meet the teacher" night too. And I am really wishing we did meet this teacher because I might have had time to make a switch. I know, I shouldn't be so quick to judge. BUT... You always remember your Kindergarten teacher, am I right? She should be sweet, loving, patient, warm, and the huggy type. Well when I walked him into his class today, I started to tell him goodbye and thats when he squeezed my hand tight, and I noticed the big tears welling up in his eyes. I just wanted to take him back home. He really loved his Kindersteps teacher last year and she had the best assistant too. His teacher this year is the complete opposite of her. And the aide is about 80 years old or so. I could tell he was shocked at how different everything was. So was I. But nevertheless, he got in line and that's when I noticed he is about 2 feet taller than every kid in his class, and that the class consists of 85% girls. I left there feeling terrible. Thinking I had done everything wrong. Wrong teacher, wrong school, wrong kids, should I have put him in 1st grade like his Kindersteps teacher said I could? Is it really a big deal if he is the youngest? How do I know I am making the right choice? and WHY is it so much harder to make decisions for your child than yourself? I felt so terrible for him. New school, new teacher, and not one familiar face whatsoever in his class. Yuck. Pit in my stomach.
I decided to come back and sit with him at lunch. He was happier, and I got to observe more of his teacher, and the teacher he should have gotten. His teacher was a bit harsh and rushed all the kids, she didn't even smile nor acknowledge me. The other teacher was sweet, patient, and warm. She and I even had a little chat. Thats when my Mom power took over...and suddenly I heard myself blurting out, "Is your class full?" She told me it wasn't, and wished me luck. I went up to the front desk and stood there for about 10 minutes staring at the info request sheet. I just wanted so badly NOT to make a fuss. But the mother bear took over and mustered up the guts to fill it out, requesting a teacher change. EEK! what would I say, how do you say that the teacher just plain rubbed you the wrong way? and do it with tact?
After school Brayden said he liked his teacher, and that he had a really good day after all. (and I was thinking...he just doesn't know any better, he doesn't know how much better it could be!) The principal called me later and wanted to know my reasoning. I told her that I had heard so many great things about the other teacher. She assured me the teacher he has is "absoultely phenomenal" (but she has to say that) and that she wanted to see how it goes for a couple weeks. So not what I wanted to hear. I wanted to switch like NOW, or never. I don't want him to get comfortable and then move him around. I'm sure I am overreacting, and being overprotective, but I was one sad Momma today.

16 comments:
oh he just looks so precious!! I love his new outfit and he looks so happy in that picture holding his cute little lunch box!!Crazy your little man is in school!! Well lets just say the beach house is not the same since you guys left, it's a little weird in this huge house with just My mom, Brax and I!!
Sad. I'm sorry it was a rough day. Sending your first kid to kindergarten is hard enough without worrying about the teacher being harsh with them.
I'm sure he will thrive with whatever teacher he has. OH, and I don't remember my kindergarten teacher. Maybe because they weren't that nice.. who knows.
FIrst of all, he looks so handsome! Second of all, i am sooo scared for that day and I am so proud of you for being brave. I hope I can do that! Good luck!
Oh Chels! How sad for you and Bray! I'm already tearing up thinking about Monday. Jer's meet the teacher is on thursday and his school starts Monday. I am soooooo sad, overwhelmed, and stressed!!!!!!! Bray does look adorable! Hope your trip was a ball. I can't wait to see pics :)
Welcome Home! So fun to get home and then get thrown right into that lovely First Day of School. Ugh! I hope things will get better for Brayden and/or Mom... It was a hard day for us too with the newness of the school, teacher, kids etc. Ms. Settle spoiled us! I wanted to go back in time and just drop him off at Riggs. Hopefully Day 2 went better! Chat with you soon!
Ohhh!! How sad! I could talk about this for hours with you. It is so stressful knowing where to send your babies to school! I feel the same way about kindergarten teachers they should be kind, sweet, and understanding! That’s a big deal!! I went and sat in the classrooms of the two teachers I was considering and I am still so sad to let her go!! I hope it all works out...I am not looking forward to next Wednesday!
Brayden looks so cute! I think he will do just fine with whatever teacher he has though. My sister teaches 3rd grade and the first year she taught she met the other teacher in her same grade and thought she seemed really harsh. However, she learned that she was a favorite among all the kids and everyone wanted to be in her class. Hopefully Brayden got one of those "better than they look" kinds. Good luck!
Hey, at least they don't do what they did to me in Kindergarten! I remember my teacher made us stand and put our arms in the air. We weren't allowed to lower them. I can't remember what this punishment was for (maybe not keeping our hands to ourselves). All I remember is that it hurt! Sounds like prison camp, huh!!
Brayden is so handsome. All the little ladies will love him and he'll have his teacher smitten with him in no time! He'll do great (and if he somehow doesn't, don't feel bad about using the mother card to do what's best for him!)
Aww brayden is in 2nd grade rememeber? haha that was hilarious!!
How exciting though, hes growing up!! I do remember my kindergarden teacher, i love her!!
Hopefully he will like her too, but it made me sad to hear his eyes got all watery, your a good momma going to eat with him at lunch :)
Oh, that makes me want to cry! I will be so sad if that happens to Annalise! It should be a requirement that ALL kindergarten teachers are the warm and fuzzy type, right? I hope it turns out the way it want it!
Oh I am so sorry, what a sad day for you. At least he came home feeling better. Sending your first to school is so hard. I hope each day has gotten better.
Man, he looks fresh off the beach with his golden tan and blonde highlights--he's going to be the heart throb of all the 85% girls in his class. What a rough first day for a mom! I'm so glad that things are getting better and that you're getting better vibes from his teacher. Good luck!
i so see myself in this post. i would feel and do the same thing. im all about first impressions and i would want my first child's first teacher to be warm and open and kind. i hope things continue to go well for him.
I always have the hardest time sending my kids to school. Especially that all day kindergarden. It is good for them but hard on us moms.
Yeah, I wasn't that crazy about Trevor's kindergarden teacher and the whole school year was weird...isn't kindergarden supposed to be perfect and all you do is play...that was not our experience. I loved Tervor's first grade teacher so I did go to the principal's office to make sure I got the best 1st and 2nd grade teacher because not all teachers are great and I want the best. I totally think it is worth it to request and I am doing it every year.
Post a Comment