Friday, June 20, 2008

"Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

Brayden had a very lame experience with swim lessons 2 years ago...so lame in fact that he refused to do much, and the young teacher didn't want to ruffle any of his feathers. Brayden was way more interested in his tattoos, and I think the guy was more interested in talking about them. Therefore, he never progressed beyond blowing "bubbles" in the water and kicking while sitting on the step. Can you say REFUND! I wish. That last day of the session, the teacher forced him under to swim 2 feet to the step. Brayden was horrified and refused to try swimming again for quite some time. Left a very bad taste in his mouth to say the least!

This year we were fortunate enough to have Pam, a lady from our ward, and at a location just a hop skip and jump away. A 30 minute lesson every day for 2 weeks. The first day he was hesitant, but okay with the fact that the first lesson was coming very soon. However, 5 minutes before we need to leave, he started bawling his eyes out. Hid his swim trunks, and hid himself too. Accused me many times that I wanted "to drown him." After a whole lotta coaxing and finding another swimsuit, off we went. Kosty consoling him the whole way there... "Its Ok Bubba." "It not scary Bubba." Brayden was even jealous of the fact that his little brother was being so brave that he tried to drag Kosty down with him, and told him that lessons were going to be scary. Meanie!
Brayden survived, then it was Kosty's turn. After 30 minutes of him begging to get in, asking if it was his turn yet, his turn came. When he realized that I would not be getting in with him, he lost it. About half way through, he comes screaming out of the pool, runs straight for the gate, and the stubborn determined kid he is, he jammed most of his petite little body out of the gate. Then realized his head wouldn't fit. All while screaming hysterically at the top of his lungs, "MAMA! MAMA! GET! ME!"Soon enough, Miss Pam got out, grabbed his stubborn little hand and pulled him right back in. YES! I knew we had a good one this time. Forcing is mandatory, I learned. Brayden was sitting with me in the chair and for the entire 30 minutes of listening to his brother cry, all he could do was repeat the phrase, "I feel really, really bad for Kosty." About 97 times.



















Day 2, 3, and 4 were all pretty dramatic as well. Brayden became an actor worthy of an Academy Award. The other moms were totally buying into his performance with plenty of "Awwwwws," "how sad," "look at that face," etc. About every 10 seconds, and he did this like clock work, he would turn to me, and look deep into my eyes with the most pathetic face ever and puppy dog eyes filled with tears. An expression that simply said, "Just how could you do this to me?" I have to say I didn't have much sympathy. He's five. I was trying hard not to laugh.

Kosty's lessons were right after Brayden's. It was so dang sad because he would go over to the swing set in the yard and hide under one of the little awnings for the entire 30 minutes prior. Even laying down, completely still, with the most sullen little face you ever did see, dreading the inevitable. That did tug my heart strings a little. Okay, a lot.

Day 5...something clicked. Brayden got done and while I was wrapping him in the towel, he said, "I don't want swim lessons to be over." A breakthrough! All weekend he kept asking when he could go back. And why Miss Pam didn't teach on Saturdays or Sundays. Kosty actually got braver much quicker than Brayden did. He was good to go by about day 4. One of the days, while Brayden and I were watching Kosty swim, Brayden had a sweet little smile spread across his face. I told him he was acting proud of his little brother. When Kosty got out, Brayden said, "Mama, I really want to give something to Kosty." I told him a simple hug and a "good job" was all he needed. And as Kosty would watch Brayden swim, he would repeat, "Good job, Bray-nen!"















They eventually learned to love it! I have to say one of my favorite parts of all of it was watching them console each other & cheer eachother on at some point along the way. It really makes my heart smile any time I can tell that they actually do love each other!


We have been swimming a lot since, and let me tell you I might be more nervous now about Kosty than I was before. He is one crazy daredevil. He jumps in over and over, and says "tannenball!" and he doesn't care if you are there to catch or not. He walks right off the step, wants you to "let go me!" when he is in the deep end, and he wants to dive for rings as many times as you will oblige! He was mad at Brayden for something, and next thing I knew, he swam across the pool, for no other reason than simply to smack him! complete with "got you Bubba!" yes, seriously! I have a witness. He even told Jer he wanted to backflip into the pool! or should I say demanded to backflip!

I can't believe how far they've come! Thank you Miss Pam!!

Oh yes, and I can't forget to mention the major bribe I proposed after seeing how traumatic the first day was...if they really learned how to swim at the end of the 2 weeks, they could pick whatever they wanted!! Yikes, it just blurted out! Brayden chose "Husky" a dog he's had his eye on for a long time from Build-A-Bear. Husky has not left his side ever since. He is a grateful boy! Kosty chose an awesome light up sword! Oh heck, they deserved it! I'm just glad they kept it under $20 each :)

13 comments:

Tawny Antelman said...

Cute cute post... some of those things they would say were so sad!! :( Kosty seems to be cute as ever now so i hope he doesnt get shy and growl like in cali!! AND OH MY GOODNESS every post you do brayden looks like he is getting bigger and bigger.. geee hes not lil brayden that i can pick up and hold or that always wants to sit on my lap or so forth anymore with me!! SHOOT he even moved on and doesnt have a crush on me anymore.. sad day :(

yeah Logan and his dad do look soo much alike... his dad looks so young and fit for how old he is. They are very nice and sweet people.. Logan has a very good smile when he chooses to smile.. which u will notice is hardly! But he only makes it to my blog when i have pics to post of him or should i say can get some pics of him.
Thanks tho!

ARE U EXCITED FOR CALI?

sandy said...

The dreaded swim lessons!!! Those were the days. All of my kids did fine with them except Tawny. She was just like yours. We always thought she was so quiet. But not when it came to swim lessons. Scream and kick and cry bloody murder. She hasn't been quiet since. The swim teacher, Candy would'nt even let me stay in sight. I had to go behind the fence and peek through a hole to watch my money going down the drain as Tawny sat & cried on the steps the whole dang lesson. I kept her in them all summer and finally she started to come around. Then when she was 4, we put her on the Gilbert swim team. Candy, the team coach also the swim teacher could'nt believe that was the same little girl from the summer before. I don't think she even has any permamant scars from all the trauma.

Nichols Family said...

Ha!!!! That was my boys LAST year! Luckily they were fine with Pam this year. So, that is funny that Kosty wanted to do a back flip! Tyler saw Levi (my brother in law) do a backflip last year and tried to do one off of the rock slide. Oh boy, I just about fainted! Good job to your boys and bribing is GOOD!

Swirls of Happy said...

What an awsome pool!!!! Glad Brayden and Koston both are doing better now with swimming :) Cute pics!!

Becky said...

hahaha. i am laughing SO hard! your boys are SO funny! :) kosty is comedy!

Becky said...

i need to get caught up on my blog and blog mylie's swim lessons (or torture, whatever) HEY...that is MY girl that can swim under water the steps or the side of the pool!

it is so fun to see the look in their eyes when they realize THEY DID IT! :)

Brooklyn said...

Oh! Luv the commentary from your little comedians. Aren't these boys lucky to have one another! Good job boys :)

Brittney said...

HILARIOUS post.... i cracked up several times, you are quite the story teller. as for the boys, i am so glad they got over their fear of swimming, and lessons too. the pool you take them to looks so fabulous! i wanna take libby to miss pam too! i wish i didnt live so far away, but that might be worth the drive for such a great teacher!
thats so sweet they were being so positive for eachother, what sweet boys.

Suni said...

Yea! I am glad you found a good swimming teacher, that is a must it makes a huge difference! Its such a relief when something clicks and they just get swimming, it finally happened this year for us!

Elliot and Cami said...

My sister used to teach swim lessons up until this year and she always always always forced them to stay in the pool and do it. It's the only thing that works! She has parents calling her all the time now saying how they miss her because their new swimming lesson teacher doesn't make them do things. Sounds like you found a good one then!

Angie Whitman said...

So funny that he would accuse you of trying to drown him!!

Hey, send me your e-mail. I went private. angiewhitman2003@yahoo.com
Thanks!

Glazier5 said...

Yeah for swimming lessons and yeah for Miss Pam! Too funny about the bribing...we negotiated a little something with Alex too. Hey if it works, it works! Loved your blurb book too...absolutely beautiful! Now I'd better go so I can get working on my 12 entries! :-)

Stefanie said...

yay fo shwimming!!!! kosty looks like a wet, shaggy dog. bray looks like nemo. oh cute