Thursday, September 9, 2010

Choice

I found this quote while planning my YW lesson, and I really liked it.


"Today comes with built in decisions, great and small. The clothes I put on, the road I travel, the people whose lives I touch. In fact, nearly everything in my day depends on how I choose. Today I can choose to carry the blame myself, or to hold out a helping hand...to shout out loud in anger, or to wait ten seconds...to cloud someone's mind with doubt, or to lift a heart with encouragement. Today I can choose to count stars or to count mud puddles. When I go to the store, I can choose to see how much there is to buy instead of how much I have to pay. When I get stuck in traffic, I can see, in every other car, a person just as important as me. Today, because I live in a free land, there are a thousand things I can choose: The neighborhood I live in, the friends I laugh with, the work I do, the thoughts I think, the dreams I dare. And what I will become, in spite of my fears and failures, in spite of the talents I lack, in spite of all the privileges I never had, depends on how I choose to challenge myself today. For I have power, if I choose, to act instead of complaining...to speak out instead of cherishing a hurt...to seek justice instead of getting even...to love the world instead of waiting for the world to embrace me first. What I choose today may well be the cause of my tomorrow. Today...I shall live as I choose. Let me choose wisely and well..."


7 comments:

Kelly said...

Great Quote! :)
It is one to live by! Thanks for posting it! It made me think of the things i can improve on in my daily life with friends and my family!

Ps. Hawaii was amazing, and you should totally go on a trip for your 10 yr! Next time i think trav and i will keep it close. Like california, so its cheeper! And we can have spending money!! It was so expensive there!! :(

Anonymous said...

i love this.

...and how am i just now seeing braydens blog? "i found a super strechy snake and said hey i could use this!" well played brayden.

Jenna Lee said...

great quote...I need to read it everyday!! You should blow it up and laminate it for me :) Ok..so when are we doing lunch??? And I think Kosty looks adorable with the new cut and i love the lines on his forehead, i wonder what he thinks of all my lines!!

foreveryoung said...

That is a good one, I hope you managed to squeeze that into the 5 minute lesson today ;). And how did I miss so many posts?? You had me at hello with Friday night lights, or atleast the picture, I am setting my DVR. Love the summer recap, long gone are the days of hanging out all day in your swimsuit doing anything but HOMEWORK. grrr. Any yoga plans next week?

Brooke and Brett Martin said...

Really love it. In fact, I want it to share with my YW when the time is right. Just like the main goal of Love and Logic is to teach kids from the youngest of age, that EVERY choice they make...affects them either for the better or not.
YOU MOVED??? Oh boy. We have catching up today. No late night gmail chat? MISS YOU!

Brooke and Brett Martin said...

..catching up to do that is. not today.

MommyRohner said...

Love this quote!

And... I was just reading through your favorite lines (on the side), which I usually just ignore. They are HYSTERICAL. You've got some live ones over there! So much personality!