About 6 months or so ago, our Bishop casually mentioned something about no TV on Sundays. I immediately felt guilty so I decided that from that day forward we would be "that" family. The family that eats breakfast together, reads scriptures, Ensigns, and Friend Magazines, plans lessons, only listens to church music, plays board games, doesn't fight or argue, and of course...NO TV or video games. Unless its a church movie of course.
I implemented the plan immediately. I wish I could say I had my husband's full support, but in this case, I don't. He whined almost as much as the kids. "But its relaxing...Sunday's are supposed to be relaxing....family movie time is bonding time....the kids are bored..." For the most part we do pretty good until church. Then sometimes we go over to his parents for dinner, and they happen to watch tv on Sundays. Me and Jer both come from families where there was no rule about TV on Sundays. Everyone is grumpy, fighting, bored after church. We've played every game, watched church videos, and made desserts together, but somehow at the end of the day the tv is on and the video games have been played. Sometimes I just plain and simple feel like a failure. Please tell me your best secrets. I'm about to give up. And I'm pretty sure my family hates me on Sunday. Yep, they do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
Chelsea, don't feal defeated. Sundays are hard. We have the "no tv" rule at our house,(until after dinner) and started it about 5 years ago. It was of course the biggest adjustment for Josh, but fortunately, or unfortunately, he isn't home much on Sundays so he got used to it real easy. I have bought some good church videos that the kids are only allowed to watch on Sunday and in the mornings I get one-on-one time playing games with each of the kids as they are taking their baths. After church is a bit harder, but the girls rotate dinner with mom each week and they get to help me do everything in the kitchen. That leaves the other one to play with Kruz, watch another church movie, or enjoy time alone. It works out pretty well over here. Hang in there, it does get easier as they get a little older, especially when they can read on their own. Good Luck
I try also and I usually fail. Our tv is always on at night sadly. Most of the time neither one of us is watching it. I don't want Cohen to grow up in that habit though. You've inspired me to try harder! When I taught Sunbeams I could always tell the kids who weren't allowed to watch tv on Sunday because they knew all the Bible/BOM stories from the videos. Haha
yowzas, i wouldnt be able to hold up on that rule. i would be the one breaking it! if you were my mom, i would prbly hate you on sundays too. but good luck, i know you are only doing it for the greater good! you are a wonderful mom and if thats the rule on sundays, welp, thats the rule!
WOW!!! First I have to say more power to you for even TRYING that rule. I could never do that, and Jason would think I was crazy if I made that rule around here. Second, I honestly think that if your not watching "bad" shows, then who cares if the tv is on. stick a good family movie on, pop some popcorn and have family time...that is what is most important, right?! That's my thoughts anyway...good luck.
Well...I have no advice as I think it is ok to watch tv on Sunday so my only advice would be maybe limit it to 2 hours on Sunday...you can still read your scriptures and do everything else you want to as well..and I must say if my mom made that rule growing up I would have been really mad, but if you really want to do it then at least they are younger..I am kinda surprised that your bishop said no tv on sundays as I have known quite a few bishops to watch tv on Sundays!! Good luck on this one and dont leave Jer home alone with the kids or you know he will turn the tv on..ha ha
hahaha, jennas comment made made me laugh, Def dont leave Jer home on Sundays with the kids or yes it will be TV and GAME time! ha Yah, we never had the no tv growin up on Sundays, but do you really think JEFF would have allowed no tv on sundays... Any sports fan would not agree with that..or should I say just JEFF would not allow that! haha
Maybe only allow Tv on sundays for a certain amount per day or after a certain time of day, like at night time.. or only allow shows that the WHOLE family can watch together! Good luck!
I feel your pain! I have to admit, I have no plans to change that we let our kids Sunday mornings while we sleep in. But now that I think of it our church just changed to 8 am, so that will change. Craig came from a family that doesn't watch TV AT ALL. They had NO TV in their home! Wow! I on the other hand had not restrictions at all and we could watch TV on Sunday. I am anxious to read your suggestions. Craig sounds just like Jeremy about the subject.
Oh yeah, I read that comment from your friend Jenna about bishops watching TV on Sundays. Craig's uncle that we live by has been a bishop twice and he always watches TV and sports on Sunday. Also I noticed when I taught Sunday school that the Magelby's daughter was really smart and knew the gospel stories really well, so I asked Sis Magelby what her secret was and she said the BOM videos on Sundays.
Chelsea, I'm impressed that you're even trying to break such a deep-rooted tradition for both you and Jeremy. Change is hard! My family never watched TV on Sundays and so it's actually something that I really treasure- a day away from the world. I'm not kidding! I really do love it. Lance's family totally watches TV on sunday so we had opposite growing up experiences. Fortunately, Lance decided on his own while he was on his mission that he wasn't going to watch tv on Sundays anymore. There has been times when it's been really hard for him- big sports events and stuff. But for the most part it's just the way it is in our house. I don't think for a sec that people that do watch tv on sunday are in any way bad- give me a break. But if you really do want to do it- it really does make our house more peaceful and sundays more special. To do it, you just make everything more relaxing. We have a really big breakfast. Our kids play for a couple of hours until it's time to get ready for church. After church, we cook, bake, play games, play outside or go on walks when it's cooler. We visit family, have friends over. Once it's a habit I promise none of you will even think twice about it. And it's way easier now when your kids are little to establish something like this! Kids are resilient & they get really creative once they're out of the tv habit. Good luck & I hope you post a follow-up in a few months about your glorious no-tv sundays! :)
Ha, you know how I feel about the subject. Just come swimming with us, it's a much holier way to spend the sabbath.
we use to go around visiting family on sundays. i would almost always sneak into my grandparents room and watch t.v. by myself. ; )
Its a tough one. I grew up with Star Trek and 60 minutes on Sunday, without fail. But, then I met the man of my dreams and he grew up totally different.
We're probably a bit hypocritical because we don't allow our kids to watch tv on sundays, but once they're in bed, we watch. HORRIBLE, I know. Maybe that could be a compromise with Jeremy : )
The kids know they're allowed to watch church movies. I think we have them all, and you're welcome to borrow some to try out before you buy.
We started this when Daxton was really young, so they just have never known any different. I'm pretty sure that if you stick to your guns now, they'll whine, but eventually get used to it. If you try again 3 years from now it's not gonna happen.
Good Luck!
Post a Comment