Sunday, August 9, 2009

first day of preschool


My sweet tiny boy officially started preschool last week. I was extremely nervous, based on the fact of his behavior at the "Meet the Teacher" a few days prior. He was so excited to go, and then when Miss Nicole tried to talk to him and give him a treat, he clinged on to my leg and wouldn't look up or talk to her. Then more kids started coming in, and he got increasingly nervous/shy so he started clinching his fists and shaking...it was a sight. Then immediately when we walked in our house, (Miss Nicole lives right across the street) he started talking all about it and acted like it went perfectly smooth??

So on the first day, he was really excited and ate breakfast (which he now makes all by himself), got dressed, put on his backpack, and was begging me to hurry up so he could get to school. Only problem was it didn't start for 40 more minutes, so he did not appreciate the delay. I could barely get him to stop for a split second to take a picture!

So, he has now been to school twice. Here's how Miss Nicole reported.

First day: No words, separated himself from the class and did his work on the rug.
Second day: Still no words, but sat at his group table with the kids.

Baby steps. Can't wait to see how he does on his third day! I'm so anxious for him to come out of his tight little shell. He comes home FULL of words and promptly takes all his work and puts it on the fridge. Oh, my sweet little boy you are so grown up!

And I've got 4.5 hours a week alone! I feel like I need to use my time really wisely and enroll for a college class or two....we will see. I also need to do projects around the house, hit the gym, grocery shop, clean, blurb, pay bills, volunteer in Brayden's class.....the list goes on!

8 comments:

Suni said...

Aww I bet he will love it in no time! Grace does the same thing but cries and clenches on to my leg for dear life, so we opted out of preschool and are doing gymnastics, but still same thing lots of crying. 4.5 hours is not that much time alone, you should kick your legs up and have some "me" time ....you deserve it!!

Jenna Lee said...

he looks so cute there with his hair cut!!And ha ha I seriously don't think you are going to take some classes...at least not at this point in your life but I guess the thought is there right!!

Stefanie said...

ya...chelsea...in college??...hmmm that's a WILD thought! hahah. jk you can do it! in fact, do it WITH me!!!

kosty is cute. and stubborn. but i love that kid. soo much.

marcee said...

I love how you said he acted like everything went really smooth. That's hilarious. I guess in his mind it did! And I do the same thing when I have a few extra minutes of free time- make a list of all the zillion things I want to get done. Then when I don't get even a fraction done, I feel so unproductive! I personally think college courses are a great idea. :)

foreveryoung said...

Aim high, but trust me, those 2 hours will FLY by! So you finally got fired from being his breakfast chef? Did you give him the wrong spoon? Perhaps the mini wheats were a tad bit too soggy?

foreveryoung said...

ps-patience my dear...I just got Julie's pics today and gave them to Amy for the CD. Maybe I can stop by and upload them to your computer and I can grab yours too.

Brittney said...

what a cute little school boy. i think he is seriously one of a kind, i crack up that he clenched his fists and wouldnt talk to anyone, then tells you what a great time he had...i cant wait to see what kind of teenager he will be. and 4 hours a week is NOTHING! but if you decided to take a college course, what would it be? and jamie's comment about his soggy mini wheats cracks me up.

Brooke and Brett Martin said...

girl...maybe we can play WITH NO KIDS SOMETIME!!!!!!! I have the same hrs alone every week now. IN SANE. I won't know what to do with myself so I'll probably just revert to baking cookies and getting fatter. SO LET'S PLAY SOMETIME!! My open mornings are tues/thurs from 9-11. Figure it OUT!
Did Kosty take his blanky to class? BABY STEPS FOR SURE...That cutie...