Sunday, January 11, 2009

legomania

I'm afraid I've reached a new chapter in motherhood.

*I don't have any more night time wake-ups, no carrier to lug around, no spit up on my shoulder, no baby on my tired hip at all times, no diaper blow-outs...both my kids walk, and they talk. There are no bottles to clean, breast pumps to be used or frequent doctor appointments. But I have to say this might be my most frustrating chapter to date...Legos.

...and my boys love 'em.

Yesterday, Jer had to work. Brayden and I started building his Batman & Indiana Jones Lego sets at about noon. We finally finished at 6 pm. Six hours of building these things. Only to find out we were missing the most important part of the I.J. set...the rolling boulder contraption. Oh boy. My neck aches, my fingers are tired, my brain hurts, my house didn't get cleaned, my errands didn't get run, I stayed in my pjs from dawn to dusk, but dangit, we finished what we started. I was so proud of Brayden, never once did he complain, and he was so committed to this project! and what a project it turned out to be. 4,768 teeny tiny Lego's, and 150 (for real) pages of directions later. I had NO idea. It was addicting in a weird way, I got into it and I just couldn't wait to get it done. I watched in amazement as Brayden was able to follow the directions precisely, find the exact Lego's out of the pile that he needed for each very specific step, and his cute little fingers that put every piece just where it was supposed to go. He was as good if not better than I, but I'm 4x his age! I was frustrated to {almost} tears at some points...I mean, after we would build an entire section and attempt to put on the last piece, the whole thing would crumble. I had to practice an intense amount of self control because heaven knows all I wanted to do was scream, cry, and stomp all over it. Not to mention the little airplanes and rockets that Kosty adored, they would crumble while he was "flying" them ever so gently around the house.





Silly me. I thought Lego's were something you put together, took apart, put together again...oh no. Not in this house. We are putting this thing high on a shelf when its not being played with and considering getting it bronzed ;) At least Brayden and Kosty love it and played with it the rest of the night, what a relief.* please remind me about my lego extravaganza if/when I am in the midst of that hard baby stage again. Thanks.

19 comments:

Brooklyn said...

Now the question is have you STEPPED on a pile in the middle of the night? OUCH!!!! Jer is obsessed with legos too, particularly the indian jones and starwars ones :) We have GOT to get those two together. Your a good mama to spend 6 hours playing with Bray... I have to admit though I get a little caught up it building the spaceship just right myself also!

Anonymous said...

that is INSANE. 150 pages?! your a good mom.


(i am glad it worked! i loved that one! thanks for the shout out.)

Glazier5 said...

Yay, I'm glad you've made the leap into the world of Legos. So fun, huh! :-) Cute family pics too!

Brittney said...

omg thats crazy! what a long intense day of building. i dont know if i wouldve had the patience, although seeing braydens determination wouldve kept me going i suppose. was there a shot of the completed project? i couldnt tell if that 4700 piece project was in that last shot of bray or not? lol, getting it bronzed...lol....too funny!

Brittney said...

oh, and way cute header! way to go kate:)

Stefanie said...

uggh i wouldn't have the patience for that. sounds like a migraine waiting to happen.
thank goodness for good, long-suffering moms like you!

Swirls of Happy said...

Haha! This post made me totally laugh...so cute, funny, and frusterating all at the same time ;) You are such a good mom to finish such a project all day!

marcee said...

I love your new picture on your header. You guys are such a good-looking family! I am AMAZED that you put that thing together! I have never done that and Nathanael's eight! I guess he's never asked. I'll just hope he doesn't!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, we try to stick to the big one's! They are so much easier to manage! Those little ones are like a never-ending "pick up fest!"

Pam Jorgensen said...

I love, LOVE legos. They are a mess and they hurt when you step on them but my kids (Rylee-girl included) can spend HOURS creatively creating. I'm proud of you for getting into it with your son...he'll remember that more than the actual toy.

Anonymous said...

Girl... I am so there;.except I am so retarded when it comes to building them. Seriously I can not do it! I was so frustrated! So, I am impressed that you got it down! But, I am always stepping on them and am always cleaning them up; but they love them!

Michelle Y. said...

Ok, I think you conviced me to not buy legos :) I probably still will and Craig's mom always tells me how much Craig loved them. I love Bionicles because they are something Trevor can build buy himself and it's not too complicated.

Brittney said...

ps today i did not spend money. i am gonna try to do that 3x a week! thats manageable!! and no credit cards this week, i am still pondering your last post! did u catch justin on the news tonight?

Nichols Family said...

Ooooh, you are such a patient mama! I get antsy just playing Transformers with Tyler for 10 minutes. :) But I know the day will come when my boys will be very interested in Legos and the fun begins, and each particular Lego will be in inconspicuous spots around the house :). But worth it huh?

Suni said...

All I can say is patience is a virtue...and you have A LOT of patience!! You are one nice mom! Love your new header!

foreveryoung said...

Oh boy, thanks for the warning! I think we'll stay in the oversized toddler legos for as long as we can! Jayden got a little spiderman lego airplane thingy for Christmas (which is also sitting on the shelf and never played with because I refuse to build it again) and that was enough for me, I can't imagine the whole Indiana Jones set!

foreveryoung said...

ps-love the new header! Did you finally figure out the photoshop program you've had on your computer for the past 5 years? :)

Kristin said...

I love the header! I am not looking forward to legos but I'm sure they will be at our house soon enough. THat is some great building!

Alison said...

I used to nanny for 2 boys and spent MANY a summer-day building legos... ALL day. I feel your pain, and your feelings of strangely getting in to it. You get the mom of the year award. :)