Thursday, January 8, 2009

the pledge

  • Don't spend money for one day.
  • Don't use credit cards for one week.
  • Don't eat at restaurants for one month.
Anyone catch Oprah today? who's up for Suze Orman's pledge? Everyone in the audience was so dramatic when she said the no restaurant thing... I thought it was funny. I'm not a big restaurant eater, and I can thank my boys for nipping any restaurant splurging in the bud. Eating out with kids is NO fun. I think it sounds very much like my lifestyle already... I do a lot of staying home so no spending on many days, I HATE credit cards, and restaurants are a thing of the past! She also insists everyone have at least 8 months of savings to cover expenses because chances are your husband will lose his job at some point....if it costs you $5,000 a month to live that is $40,000 for your savings that cannot be touched! Then she said, "2009 is the year that will either make you or break you." Yikes! Hopefully we can achieve our financial goals this year! that means no debt, 8 months of savings, a regular savings, college funds for our kids, a retirement plan??? eeeek, we have no retirement at all. Sounds real easy Suze!

12 comments:

foreveryoung said...

The Suze Orman episodes are the ones I always skip because they give me guilt or leave me overwhelmed! Does fast food count as a restraunt? I'm with you on avoiding sit down restraunts with kids, but I always look forward to a good taco bell run to get me out of cooking on the weekends!

Brooke and Brett Martin said...

AWww...GREAT PLAN CHELSEA. I think I might just commit to the challenge. The no restaurant makes my heart rush though. I don't own a credit card- I'm the most old school person on how I spend my money!!!
Amen to Oprah saying this year will either make or break you. AAAAMEN.
I like your header by the way.

Tawny Antelman said...

hahaha doesnt sound easy at all if you ask me... sounds very hard.. hahahah!

Awwww that was a funny/cute conver u had with Brayden!! I need to come and see him or take him to dinner or a play date sometime soon!! I miss Brayden!!! Tell him i said HIIII and im still alive and hes still my fav lil boyfriend ;)

Jenna Lee said...

Well..... I don't think I can do that challenge because I am sure that I will not make it a month without eating out....that one is still in the present for us. But I wold like to work on our savings this year.. it could be a lot bigger than it is!! Definitely not $40,000 in it

Nichols Family said...

Does eating out at restaurants WITHOUT the kids count? Just kidding. I think that plan is excellent. Also (I always rave about this book) but Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover is very focused on getting out of debt rather than making cash too, very similar to Suze's stuff.

Brittney said...

hmmmmm well, i try to go several days without spending money, but its a tough thing to do! good advice chel, i will try to obtain part of those goals! its hard, but smart!

Anonymous said...

all i can think of when i see suze is the saturday night live clip making fun of her. oh man, have you seen it? youtube it. it is classic.


but still, good advice.

Michelle Y. said...

I agree with Jamie, I have no problem not going to restraunts but I love a good fast food stop on the weekends. The news is so overwhelming these days!

Brooke and Brett Martin said...

Taylin wore my gold necklace to church today. She's obsesssed with the thing now and thinks its hers.

Brooklyn said...

HAHA! I know, the financial crisis is only going to get worse. No restraunts and no spending already is easy for me, and I don't have a credit card, man I'm broke! LOL! Thanks for the points... Tis the year of goals thats for sure :)

marcee said...

Seriously- you don't eat out? It's one of my favorite things to do on date night. With kids- no way!

Tiffany said...

Good tips...does eating out include Cafe Rio, because that's about the only restaurant we go to these days!