Sunday, October 21, 2012

like mother like son


Jer has been claiming for at least the last 6 years that Kosty is just like me. I always scoff at the comparison because of how naughty he can be. But the other night, I snuck in to kiss him goodnight and found him on top of a freshly made bed and it brought back vivid memories of me, at the same age, doing the same thing. I would do it often, and usually took it one step further by being completely dressed, with shoes and socks, on top of that made bed. 

Another thing that happened was one night way after we tucked them in, we heard major sniffling. I wrote it off as a random allergy thing but it got more intense. I went in and found Kosty sobbing hysterically. When I tried to figure out why, he couldn't get any words out. After several intense minutes and asking him why he didn't come get us or call for us, he mustered out three words between his sobs..."when....daddy.....dies." My heart broke. And again, a flashback. When I was his age I would often lay in bed and think about my parents dying and become very upset and cry myself to sleep. Sometimes I would sneak out and find my parents on the couch watching the Late Show and they would try to calm me. But it went on for a long time. Now, looking back, it was right before they announced their divorce, so I was probably too aware for my own good that things were unstable. 

Back to Kosty. It was the saddest sight. The weird part was he was so upset about Jer dying (not me, ha) but he wouldn't let Jer hold him at all. He was inconsolable but wanted me to hold him, so I took him to the rocking chair and reassured him as best as I could that Daddy is very much alive and not dying. And that even when Daddy does get old and die, like all of us eventually will,  His spirit will still be alive and with him always. It actually turned into a great teaching moment and I was able to bear my simple testimony to him about Heavenly Father's plan and being an eternal family and then sung "Families Can Be Together Forever" and he calmed right down. There aren't many moments that Kosty will get personal and talk spiritually with us, but this was a rare opportunity and I was all choked up as it was happening. Something very sad that turned into something good, and I hope I always remember that bitter sweet night. *(This is way more personal than I usually share but I need it in here for our journal). 

1 comment:

foreveryoung said...

Back for round two :)...What a beautiful moment, no need to apologize for sharing such a personal experience. Such a tender moment that you won't ever want to forget. I remember those vulnerable moments as a kid and he's lucky to have a mom who cares so much!