Monday, September 8, 2008

a lesson

Jer took Brayden out for a little Daddy time on Saturday. They rarely get alone time, but when they do you can count on Brayden coming home with a new something. He got a used video game for his game cube. He was ecstatic. He came home, and quickly discovered that the disc was scratched and didn't go past a certain point. When I told him I would not be exchanging it that day, oh was he ever upset. Sunday was the next day, so he knew I would not be exchanging it then either. He knew he had to wait until today. Tonight, I took him on a little date. We got Subway, he got a haircut, and then we exchanged the game. He kept holding it up in the air and expressing his excitement to get home fast so he could play it before bed.

I had to make a quick run in Target, and Brayden ran ahead of me straight to the drinking fountain. As we were leaving, he told me he lost his game. I said "No you didn't, its in the car, I promise...you never brought it to Target." He said, "NO Mama, I am really good at memorizing and
I know its not in the car." Again, I thought he was just confused, I would've noticed if he had been carrying it around Target, and I wouldn't have let him bring it in in the first place! Well sure enough, his "memorization" proved to be right, it was gone. Then he told me he set it down at the drinking fountain. We checked, it was gone. Of course we checked Lost and Found, had the guy intercom to every employee, then I asked all the employees, we retraced our steps hundreds of times, we checked with the electronics department several times... and it was all bad news. I suggested maybe he say a prayer. I was thinking he would maybe say a silent little prayer standing up. But no, no. Without an ounce of hesitation, he quickly got down on his knees, bowed his head, closed his eyes, and said his prayer out loud. In the middle of the toy aisle. Bless his little faithful heart. Oh, it was so sweet to watch.

After yet another round, we decided to call it a night. He was so upset, but it was a different kind of upset. I could tell he was taking full responsibility for it, and that he was disappointed in himself. He wasn't expecting me to fix it either. I struggled with what to do....I wanted to get him another game, it didn't feel right. But leaving empty handed felt even worse. I went back into GameStop, expecting them to do nothing, but felt like I should give it a shot. The guy was extremely kind and let me buy another one for half off. He was very compassionate. Brayden was truly grateful, and when I returned to the car, his eyes were filled with tears, and he said,
"I was singing a song about how sorry I felt for you." I showed him the new game, and his little eyes were more surprised than I had anticipated. I told him maybe that sweet man in there was the answer to his prayer. Brayden marched right in there and gave him the most sincere "thank you, thank you, thank you" I have ever heard. Then he got in the car and said the sweetest prayer of gratitude to his Heavenly Father. I teared up so many times tonight, all over this little video game. But Brayden's faith and sweet spirit during it all truly made my heart swell. I couldn't be happier that he learned tonight that Heavenly Father really does hear and answer his prayers.

Right when we got home....Target called. They found the game.

13 comments:

Angie Whitman said...

How sweet. I can just picture him in the toy aisle praying. I think the hardest thing as parents is not "fixing" every mistake or problem. It is sooooo hard, isn't it?? I am definately not perfect at it.
Oh, and I can't believe they found the game! So,now what?

Chelsea said...

I guess I am returning one of the games! ;)

foreveryoung said...

That image of him praying in the toy aisle is the sweetest thing ever. I'm so glad there was a good ending to the story, it's always hard to explain when they pray for something and it doesn't always work out. That is definately a great lesson and so funny that they found the game, I wonder where it was at.

Shanen said...

Wow what a great story. What a cute boy he is, so sweet. What a hard way to learn a lesson. But a well learned lesson at that. You sure are doing something right with those boys. =)

Jenna Lee said...

That is so precious, Brayden has the most tender heart ever. And oh how i would have liked to see him saying that prayer. You are such a good mom teaching the boys so well about prayer!!

~Cari said...

Oh I just loved reading that post. And the ending was so great. Now you need to decide what you are going to do. Maybe put one away for another time when you can use it as a reward??? That's my suggestion.

Brittney said...

he is the sweetest boy i have ever known. i cant believe how special he is, and faithful! he did learn a good lesson that night, and i bet he will never forget it.
and thank goodness for target finding it! what an emotional rollercoaster of a day!

Pam Jorgensen said...

I love those little ones and their gigantic faith.

I giggled a little when I read that Target found the game...Murphy's Law!! We live and die by Murphy at our house!

Alisa Larson said...

Okay, it's only 11am and I already am crying thanks to that sweet story. I love the faith of little children, wish I had it just as strong!

Suni said...

That is soooo sweet! What a great teaching moment!

Nichols Family said...

Chelsea, his the sweetest kid! I almost cried just reading your post putting myself in your shoes. I'm glad somebody didn't just snake the game and leave. You set a good example for me to be strong and let them learn that it doesn't always work out. Glad this time it sorta did though!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet story Chelsea . . . like always. Such a compassionate little person he is!
As far as the "brotherly love" thing, I think that time will change things. That's what I hear left and right. It's seeming that little by little, they are growing closer though.

Bekah: said...

he'll always remember that and when times get really rough, rougher than loosing a video game he will remember that he can pray and be heard!