Sunday, September 21, 2008

hereditary


Many years ago, there was a very sensitive little girl who often "felt bad" for her mom. You see, everyday at school lunch, she would open her lunch sack and find....
it. A simple paper napkin with a little message from her Mom written with a Sharpie. A simple little note; usually an eyeball, a heart, and a letter U. {I love you}. Although she appreciated the loving gesture from her mom, it caused all kinds of emotions and inner turmoil. Unbeknown to her Mom. Everyday, she would eat her lunch and stress about it. She thought about how she would have to make a choice when she was through. She would have to decide to throw it away with her trash, or have the inner battle. So she would throw out all her trash, and somehow "felt too bad" to throw away this sentiment from her Mom. So after much debate and feeling bad, she would usually wad it and put it in her pocket. There were many days she actually thought to herself, "Today is the day. Today I will throw "it" away. And I won't feel bad, because it is after all, just a napkin. I can do it." Well she would say it over and over in her head, and then when she stood in front of the trash can, she just couldn't bear to do it. So everyday she would wad that napkin up and put it in her pocket. She even thought about telling her Mom to stop writing the notes, but of course, she felt too bad. She somehow felt that throwing the napkin away would somehow hurt her Mom's feelings. Well of course it wouldn't have. But this continued anyway....till the end of 6th grade.

Well, she eventually grew up. And when her own child went to school for the first day, she wrote a note on his napkin. She later went and visited him at lunch and laughed to herself when she saw notes on every one of the kids' napkins. None of them seemed to notice the notes much, not even her own son. She was relieved. So, not wanting to pass on the tradition of inner turmoil and sadness in the cafeteria, she stopped writing notes. Not that she didn't want to, just that she knew how much grief it had caused her as a child and she certainly didn't want her own son wallowing over the trash bin with much guilt and sadness.

Many weeks later, she was packing his lunch, and realized he had left his lunch box at school. She grabbed a paper bag, and proceeded to put his lunch inside. Then it happened...the little boy looked up at her and said, "Mom, please don't write anything on that lunch bag." She said, "why?"

and he said, "because when I throw it away..........
I will feel bad for you."

22 comments:

Alisa Larson said...

Oh my gosh - that is too funny! What a sweet daughter you were and what a sweet little guy you have!

Bekah: said...

Chelsea what an endearing post. I love seeing the "circle of life" passed down from mother to son. This story is so touching and simply adorable.

Bekah: said...

you are a good writer!

Jenna Lee said...

oh man Brayden is such a sweet boy, I really hope I get a kid with that sweet pure personality because I do not think that I am getting it with Braxton!!

Brittney said...

Chelly! I didnt know you felt so sad to throw it away! I loved getting those notes, and used the napkin if i needed it and threw it out with out a second thought! How sad you felt bad if you did! and thats so sweet that brayden would feel bad for you! cute-cute story:)

Nichols Family said...

Oh my goodness...how cute!!!!!!!! He's such a tenderhearted child, what a good boy you have.

foreveryoung said...

I remember you telling me that story and I can't believe it came full circle (and they both happened at "Patterson" elementary)! You and Jeremy are both so thoughtful it's not a shocker that that gene passed on to Brayden, but I'm glad he decided to speak up now and save himself 5 years worth of inner turmoil!

Anonymous said...

Ha! I am dying!!! It is so amazing what comes down through the blood line:) I love that he has the same tender heart that you have. That is so cute.

Anonymous said...

Lovely story. That made my night!

Lynsi said...

AHH I loved reading this! ( have to admit it made me a bit teary eyed, just so sweet!) What a sweet boy you have! Oh and I lOVE the picture of your boys in your next post! It is quite funny how you have one kid and you think they all will fit that mold and then when you have more realize just how different they all are! They all come with their own personalities thats for sure!

Suni said...

What a sweet story, that is so cute!!

Suni said...

Oh by the way that lip gloss is minty....it doesn't burn my lips...are you thinking of lip venom (that stuff burns!)?

jackie said...

that was so so cute! i really love your mom so much and think she is an amazing lady... i have always thought that!!!! your story was so cute i really loved it...
ps did you find some leggings after all the other night hahaha???

Heidi Ann said...

Oh Chelsea, I loved your story! He's brave to tell you and so sweet!

Swirls of Happy said...

How adorable!!!! This was such a great post, and you wrote it so well....nicely done my dear ;)

MommyRohner said...

A very fun story. I've avoided writing things on Daxton's napkins because I know he could care less.

Shanen said...

That is a sweet story. Maybe if you write it on a stickie note, he can keep it in his lunch box, or put it in his folder and then bring it home. My kids love when I send them notes. I don't do it everyday, and it just always comes back home with them.

Angie Whitman said...

That is so sweet. I know you will LOVE having this sweet story recorded to tell Brayden's future wife! She will think you and him are so adorable!

Anonymous said...

that is so adorable. ahhh, i can't wait to have little kiddos! for some reason reading your blog always makes me so baby hungry, i love the things you write about your boys, and i love the post below about how different they are. your such a good momma!

Tawny Antelman said...

hmmmm who knows about Jim Linker... we dont really know anything employees and branches yet.. wait.. we dont know anything as employees cuz we are always last to know everything!!
Yes it is crazy... they say there going to close about 400-500 wamu branchs across the US, So hopefully they will just disperse of the employees that are at the branchs that they will close... We will just have to see.. they say banking as usual for at least another 6 months!!

Janet said...

Chel, I am so sorry it took me a few weeks to see your blog, and then to read the heartwrenching story about the napkins I put into your lunch! I would not have minded if you had thrown them away, I am so sorry it caused turmoil. You sweet girl! I just wanted you to know that I was thinking about you and hoped when you saw the little face or message that I love you. I do remember when Grandma Bea came to visit us, and she saw so many napkins that you had saved in your desk, she wanted to throw them away. Grandma Bea loves to clean up and throw away. It hurt my feelings that she didn't care that those were my messages to you and that you had so sweetly saved them until there was quite a pile! I am having a lump in the throat now! Just to let you know I love you, that's all those napkins meant. Mom :)

Janet said...

PS Brayden is adorable to be so considerate of your feelings. That is a very good trait, Chel.
Mom :}