Wednesday, August 20, 2008
outflow determines inflow
Some of you may remember I wrote about the book I read a while ago, "A New Earth." It intrigued me quite a bit, since Oprah would not shut up about how much it would "change your life, awaken you, change the earth!" I didn't find it to be that dramatic..I am pretty content in my life, however I know we are all a work in progress, there was a lot of good information that I needed to hear, and it really made me think. Which I was happy to do for a change ;)
One of the greatest things that I got from it was the simple statement, Outflow Determines Inflow. It makes so much sense, and I really do believe this to be true. He talks about how some people complain and whine their way through life. About how they are not welcomed enough, loved enough, helped enough, cared for enough. He says that means YOU are not giving those things to the world. He said whatever it is you feel like you are not getting, simply means you are not giving it. A harsh, but true reality check. This instantly struck me, and has stayed with me ever since.
I think back to when I said things about not feeling at home in my new ward, or not feeling welcomed at any particular setting. I now know that I am the one responsible. A difficult lesson for me, since I have always resorted to "I'm just shy... an introvert, that's just the way I am." No more excuses. If I want to have a friend, I have to be a friend. If I want service when I am in need, I need to give service to those in need. When I feel unwelcome or unloved, then I need to step up and be that welcoming person. To get, you have to give. (this even applies to blog comments, ha ;)
I am grateful for this valuable lesson.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

21 comments:
I always LoVe your posts! This was a good one! So true!
i am grateful for that valuable lesson as well! it makes ya think, and its very true! i am working on being a better sister and friend. so if i call you more often, you know why! lol... let me borrow that book when I finish these dang stephenie meyer books!
p.s.... a quick tid bit of information that i had to share:
Recent Bachelorette reject Jason Mesnick, whose heart DeAnna Pappas passed over in her own second-time-around quest for love, has signed on to be the new Bachelor when the ABC series returns in January 2009.
GET OUT! I KNOW! ARE YOU SO EXCITED?!
Very true! I am also an introvert and it can be so hard sometimes to step out of my comfort zone. But, I love when people are welcoming to me so I need to remember this!
I am still waiting to borrow the book... don't forget I am before Britt!! And that is so true... why didn't we know this back in the day... it would have made things so much easier.. he he And I Can't figure out if I am social or not, or an introvert or not... just when I think I am not, I seem to be if that makes sence!!
i am waiting for this book at the library and i am excited to read this.
i love this post. i agree with the concept 100%. very true. if we'd all always live that way; what a beautiful world!
britt i just read your comment... no way! Jason?! cool! i liked him a lot but i also liked jeremy!
I believe this concept is right. Now I need to put it to the test! When I have stepped away from my introvertedness, it is a different world. Scary, but good. Thanks for reiterating that idear, Chel. Love, Mom :)
wow, i love that statement. it's so true, there is so many examples that it relates too. time to pick that book up. thanks for sharing.
and the post below about brayden and school is so adorable! what a sweet little boy he is.
(and the bread?! post the recipie)
Loved this post...it is something I've been thinking about a lot lately! Guess I probably need to quit thinking and start doing! Looks like I've got a new book to add to my list.
Hey, this post was so inspiring Lori talked about it in her V.T. lesson and used your blog as an example, so I couldn't wait to read what you wrote. I agree with you and I also agree with the blog comments too :)
Chelsea this was a great post. I haven't read this book, but I came to this point in my life about a year ago when I was feeling "poor me." I was not at a happy point and realized I had only myself to blame. I am far far from perfect or being where I want to be, but my attitude is different, and I am much happier. Thanks for the reminder.
Thanks for this uplifting post. It madde me think. I totally agree. Thanks!
Ok, what a service of that lady in your ward to make homemade bread for Sacrament!!!! YUMMMMM!!!! There is nothing like Homemade Bread...I am drooling over here looking at those pics. I can't believe Brit is preggers...how exciting! Are you two gonna have babies around the same age??!!! P.S. Loved this post.
Wow, thanks for the tips! Sounds like a great book, I'll keep that in mind. Does this mean that you will watch my kids when I'm miserably pregnant or sick and I'll watch yours when your miserably pregnant or sick? ;)
I thought I was next in life after Maria! Hahaha! Very good entry my dear. I agree completely!
Very deep stuff, Chels! So true though...but when it comes to service, you are always so good about giving it but put up a fight whenever somebody tries to serve you :) For heavens sakes, don't make me fight you tooth and nail to let me watch your kids! ha, ha!
I would never guess by your blogging that you are at all introverted. That is why I love blogging! We can all come out, so to speak. haha
That is great advice and I have thought about it a lot since I read your post a few days ago. It helps remind me to put out a little more instead of expecting in return. Thanks for the reminder!
soooo deeep chelly bell. and maria is reading a new earth. i started. but couldn't finish. bleh. talk to you laterrrrr
Hi girlie! Did you get my email about Labor day?
Wow, that's pretty deep Chelsea - and something I very much needed to hear. Thanks!
PS I LOVE my necklace as so does my mom and sisters!
You were at Yoga on Sat? I looked for you but I didn't see you in the class. I was far to the right as you walk in. So, the other instuctor is better?
Oh, yeah...my teeth are NOT straight anymore, but they WILL be. Yeah, Trent never needed braces either, you all are lucky!
Post a Comment