Monday, March 3, 2008

"Cardigan"

When Brayden had the stomach flu last week, he threw up all over his beloved & all time favorite stuffed lamb, Cardigan. We got Cardigan when Brayden was just 2 1/2. I remember because it was a quite a few months before Kosty was born. We found him at Kohl's & he is the softest, cutest lamb ever. Brayden instantly decided that his name would be "Cardigan." (which he copied from the lamb on Charlotte's Web 2). I thought it was such a clever name & was perfect for him. He stole Brayden's heart from day one. From then until now, every time we pass a Kohls, he reminds me "that's where we found Cardigan." He has brought him to California on vacation, to school for show & tell, and he is the first thing he wants to snuggle when he isn't feeling good.
After we realized "Cardi" had suffered as the flu target, I put him in the laundry room till I figured out how to get him clean (his tag said 'surface wash only' & his hooves have some little plastic beads in them, so I was nervous) Brayden has been sad ever since & every night claims that he "can't fall asleep without Cardi." Today, I went to the dry cleaner & they told me that they don't clean stuffed animals. So, after some talking into, I took a risk & put him in the extra delicate cycle. Brayden was on full watch. He yelped a big "NO!" when I put him in. I assured him he would be ok (I hoped) & then he stood over the washer & with every spin, he would say, "Mama, he doesn't like that. It really scares him." Meanwhile I was yelling "Woohoo Cardigan! Hows the ride?!!" Trying to make it seem FUN, of course. Well he wasn't buying any of it & continued to stand guard. Anyway, he SURVIVED in one piece!! No lumps & no missing eyes or anything else. Victory! I told him he would have to air dry & then I found him in the bathroom drying him with the blow dryer. I love how tender he is with him, & how he genuinely treats Cardigan like he has feelings & a personality. Its so cute. HOORAY! He's back!! Brayden is finally at peace, and out of excuses for not falling asleep at night!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is so sweet! I found myself holding my breath as I was reading the part where you put Cardigan into the washing machine. I thought for sure he would have a lost at least an eye! I am so glad he came out o.k. Anything to make our little ones happy, Right?!

Kristin said...

That is so sweet. I have just one bit of advice. When he is too old for it and you feel the need to 'take it away' don't throw it away. I am still traumatized from a childhood blanket that was actually thrown away instead of just hidden for a while...
P.S. He is so cute! Watch out for him, he's going to be a ladies man!

Brooklyn said...

Oh! Darn dry cleaners! Yes you know I love that name! Cute pictures, cute bray, and cute cardigan!

Anonymous said...

What a good mom you are. I loved that you were trying to make his "ride" in the washer fun! These little people are so innocent, aren't they? I wish that we could keep them like that for a LONG time.

foreveryoung said...

I'm so glad that he survived his big spin cycle adventure, yay! I love the blow drying picture, too cute! He is definately going to make one good dad some day!

Elliot and Cami said...

All I ever see in little boys is the rowdy, dirt-loving side of them. Glad to know they are sometimes as sweet as little girls too!

Brittney said...

oh sweet brayden and his little buddy cardigan:)
glad he came out in one piece!
i cant believe they dont dry clean stuffed animals! i still have my "b" and i know how important libbys blankie is to her! its cute when they become attached to something... but i took your advice and when libby started becoming attached to blankie, i bought another one just in case! thats hilarious, i could just imagine you standing over the washer asking cardi if he was having a good time in there! HA.

Michelle Y. said...

What a sweet tender hearted boy. Sorry I didn't call you back soon enough to get the boys together today. I didn't get your message till later tonight. I would love to get the boys together asap. I am leaving for CA this Friday or next Friday, we can't decide.

Becky said...

that really is SO stinking cute! i loved reading that! he has such a tender heart! :)

Swirls of Happy said...

What a sweetheart! I love that name, and the pics of him snuggling up to the lamb are precious!

Shanen said...

I love that. Kruz has a "pups" that he is attached to. He cannot sleep without it. It gets quite a few washings around here in the machine but I have to make sure I put it in fast inbetween naps. I bet you can see the sweet and sensitive side in Brayden with his Cardigan. That's what I see in Kruz. I love it.

Heidi said...

How cute! Brayden is such a sweetheart. I love that he calls you Mama. Caden just started calling me that and it reminds me of you and Brayden. *Ü*

Alisa Larson said...

Oh, that is sooo sweet. Doens't it break your heart when they say things like, "that scares him". I think they genuinly believe it. Such a sweetheart. And you're a great Mommy. I was laughing at your "WooHoo, how's the ride". Funny!

Sheba Price said...

Too cute! I could tell that you are a comforting and compasionate mom. Brayden is so cute with 'Cardi' and thank goodness he survived the spin cycle because that would have scared me if he didn't. Yikes! I am sure you are relieved too! Love the pics!

Heidi Ann said...

He is so cute! It's kind of a love/hate relationship with their favorite sleep thing. It's great when they have 'em but rotten when they don't! He's too cute!

Nichols Family said...

Oh, adorable, he's so sweet. Wow, your fly skater has a sensitive side too. Tyler can relate to the favorite toy thing. My mom got him this ridiculous stuffed monkey (at my cousin's garage sale of all places) when he was 1. He hasn't let it out of his sight since and treats it better than most of our family members. We've taken the chance of washing it a few times...and it had a happy ending luckily. Good for you for cheering Cardigan on during his wash cycle "roller coaster". I'll have to remember that next time I put that smelly monkey in the wash.

Jen H. said...

I haven't seen you in a while. I'm sorry Brayden's been sick, that explains it. I think it's so cute when kids have a lovey that is what we call them. I'm glad he survived the washer! Off the subject, but I was wondering if I could get the name and number to the person that took your family pictures on your blog! I love them!! I'm getting the bug to do family pictures again. Thanks!

Heidi said...

Sweet post. Each of my kids has a stuffed sweet thing too so I feel for you in the "trying to figure out how to wash the darn thing" adventure. Alexia went through a terrified of fire phase until I found out that she was afraid she would have to leave moosie in the fire. It's so sweet the love they have for their "friends."