Tuesday, October 27, 2009

seven.












Seeing him over the years like this always make me emotional...look how tiny he was, he is so big now. Chubbiness has disappeared, as have his teeth. But, I love how his big blue eyes stay the same no matter what.

Brayden,

So many changes this year! You've grown so much and starting to lose all your teeth. You are having such a good school year. No crying or complaining of it being "too long." No dragging you there either, which is a major relief for me. You are such a good example around here and we just think you are darn special. You are so smart, acing all of your spelling tests, reading up a storm, and already trying to learn multiplication. Looks like I'm going to need to brush up on those times tables. You are starting to care more now about what people think and getting embarrassed here and there, which is sad, but a part of growing up. I really didn't think that stuff happened until around 13. You love soccer, but you get pretty frustrated at your teams constant defeats. You told me you are worried about kicking another player and hurting them. I told you that's what shin guards are for, but that didn't matter to you. You responded, "but they don't protect the back of their legs!" and "what if I accidentally kick someone when I'm trying to get the ball and they fall down and cry?" You've always been a thoughtful little boy.

Kosty is constantly trying to "beat" you in every kind of race you can think of. Who can win a board game, who gets in the shower the fastest, who gets a ride on Daddy's back first, who gets their jammies on first, who says the family prayer, and the most competitive: who is dressed and ready for church first. These things usually frustrate you, but mostly because of the unkind way Kosty announces his victory and your defeat. He likes to rub it in a whole lot. This past Sunday, you were both ready and at the last step: socks and shoes. Kosty was seconds away, and you were closer....but then I watched you completely slow down. Slowed down & watched until he had clearly "won." And even when he started with the "Ah-ha, I won" taunting, you just smiled and walked on by. Little did he know, you let him win.

You do sweet & funny things all the time that I want to remember. A couple days ago, we went to Subway and Daddy ordered a foot long steak and cheese that he couldn't finish. Leaving an entire 6 inch remaining. You said you were still hungry, so I took off his cheese and peppers, you tried to eat it, but steak and cheese is just not your favorite. So after asking everyone if they wanted it, you held it above the trash can and then covered your eyes with your other hand as you dropped it in. I had to laugh because as you couldn't bear to watch a perfectly good sandwich go to waste, I was also cringing in my mind.

This morning, I was doing your hair and you asked if you looked like a "fancy waiter." Then you proceeded around the house holding up a folder as a tray and told me that you would be a waiter someday. And that you really hope you can balance the tray high above your head. Then you reminded me that the waiter gig would just be temporary until you can secure your dream job as an astronaut.

We love you so much Brayden!

6 comments:

Stefanie said...

aww soo sweet!
that pic of him at age 1 just STUNS me. how could a baby look that perfect. he has always had the most gorgeous, big, blue eyes. and his smile could melt anyone. such a cutie. i can't stand it. i hope my boy looks like bray someday. I LOVE YOU SOO MUCH BUBBA!!
xoxoxoxo!

Elliot and Cami said...

He is such a sweet boy! And those baby pictures are so adorable! What a cute boy he is!

Jenna Lee said...

oh bubba....I can't believe that he is this old, wow how the time flies, it seems like a year ago we were all at the hospital waiting for the arrival!! I love the picture of him when he was 2 and I love what a sweet boy he is, I really hope this next one has his personality since Braxton seems to fit more with Kostons little personality, and I need a mix!!

Brittney said...

i love that letter to him. I can just picture him as an adult reading it and trying to imagine him and koston as little brothers. i feel like they grow up in the blink of an eye. that is so sweet he let kosty win. and the sandwich story made me laugh. he is such a special boy, i know he makes you a proud mama. happy birthday brayden. we all love you over at the williams house!! xoxoxxxooo

Tawny Antelman said...

Happppy birthday bray!!! I ser cannot believe how old he is now, time really does fly by, that's no joke!!!! It seems like jus a couple months ago I was braydens favorite person and his lil gf... before we know it he's gonna have reallll girlfriends. Tell bra happy bday and that I love that lil stinker!!!!!!!

Tawny Antelman said...

Ps...what u wrote to brayden was very very sweet :)