Saturday, April 4, 2009

mess

I don't consider myself a clean freak, although maybe only because I have friends who are far more anal than myself ;) But... to me, a messy house feels like pure chaos. It feels uncomfortable & out of control, and it sets a negative tone to my home as well. It makes me irritable too! I feel like I am constantly cleaning and at times it feels completely pointless. The odds seem to be stacked against me with no end in sight. Today was a crazy day between Conference, a bridal shower, a birthday party for my niece, and my stepsister's baby being born (whom I didn't get to see!)... by bedtime my house looked like a bomb went off. I started telling everyone to pick up their stuff and take it to their rooms. Kosty went into the family room and picked up one teeny tiny toy of his, and while he was taking it into his room, he turned and looked at me with a sweet smile, and said,

"Momeee, can you be happy now?"


I felt horrible. I thought I was being all good & under control by not yelling, but he could tell my demeanor. It seems like a never ending struggle. I need to learn to let go, but I also want my boys to learn to clean up after themselves, a very important skill/life lesson! How do you balance this?

10 comments:

Bekah: said...

I feel the same way it just sets such a negative tone.

Did Jamie have her baby?!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am on pins and needles.

Angie Whitman said...

Good luck. My kids already avoid me on Saturday mornings or when they do see me, they begin with the disclaimer, "I don't want to do chores." This is before I even say anything.... I think they can just see it in my face now.

Suni said...

I feel the same way! My mom always reminds me that someday I am going to wish there was a mess to pick up when they are gone so just let the messes be and enjoy the kiddos......I think its true but sooo hard to do! On the other hand Mark is big on the girls picking up there stuff they have out before they move to the next thing. Also taking tv time away always gets them moving!! Today is a no tv day at my house....so wish me luck!!

Tawny Antelman said...

I have become a CLEAN FREAK-but I can thank Sandy for that one... But, if my house is the slightest bit dirty or dishes in the sink or anything to that matter than it bugs me even if I know its gonna get dirty in 30 mins! hhahahaha

Jenna Lee said...

My theory is clean everyday!! It drives me nuts to have a dirty house as you already know...so every night before kids go to bed they have to clean up there mess. And every night before Jeremy goes to bed he has to clean off his nightstand.. and no change anywhere...it needs to be put in a pot!!

Chelsea said...

so,is that Kevin's rule?

Why should I have to mother my husband?

can't wait for Thursday!

Jenna Lee said...

well its not kevin's rule because he is really clean as well.....and it is not mothering Jer...you just tell him do it or he is not getting any from you!!

Brittney said...

lol....one time i read a post about this girl who's husband was home from work for a few days, and she was disappointed that he learned her scheme, she lets the kids mess up the house all day, then when daddy is coming home, she makes a mad dash with the kids to clean it up so it looks like she had it under control all day even though she didnt.
i think as long as its a new daily mess its not as bad as if its an ongoing mess that never got cleaned. also singing a song, or dancing while cleaning is always a fun motivator for kids! dont stress out about it though, just as long as you feel like you had a productive day, thats all that matters. i am sure once you organized that game closet, you felt a sense of relief even though no one else prbly knows or will notice such an organizing feat?!

foreveryoung said...

Now who might that anal frend of yours be?? :) I can't function in a messy house either and Jason knows the way to my heart is through cleaning the house for me.

marcee said...

Oh geez- the balancing act between my clean freak side and being a nice mom is definitely one I am always trying to find. I have become more and more aware of it as my kids get older and can comment on my nasty moods when the house is a mess and I'm nagging EVERYBODY about it. I really, truly try to not freak out when my house is a mess but some days the clean freak monster just can't stay hidden and it comes out with a vengence. Let me know what you come up with!

PS- I have always resented the mothering of husbands as well.