Thursday, January 24, 2008

Runaway

Monday was a fabulous day off, Jer was home all day & we were "moving some stuff around" in the garage, (not technically cleaning it out like we should have) when Brayden walked out and announced he was ready to say goodbye to his training wheels. We were more than happy, and Jer took them off right away. Of course I went inside to get the camera, what else. Next thing I know, he is totally riding this bike with Jer running full speed along side of him!! I didn't expect it to happen so fast! Jer was such a proud Dad & it was so awesome to see the look on Brayden's face. He was so PROUD of himself, GIDDY, and grinning ear to ear. I guess he was more than ready & we probably should have taken them off a while ago!
That afternoon, Kosty went down for a nap & I took the glorious opportunity of going grocery shopping with ZERO kiddos in tow. When I got home, Jer told me that while he was in the shower, Brayden took off on his bike and his sister Mindy had seen him. So Jer went looking for him and found him at the park with some friends. He got a major "talking to" by his Dad and then again by me when I found out what happened. I guess the new found freedom he has been feeling without his training wheels has gone straight to his head. I thought he had learned his lesson, well apparently not...

The next day, I was making dinner & I told the kids that we could go out front to ride bikes while dinner was in the oven. I opened up the garage & then was trying to get shoes for Kosty that were nowhere to be found. So finally we both had shoes on & called for Brayden. Silence. Went out front. No where in sight. NOT AGAIN, I tell myself. I hop on the bike with Kosty and go around the corner, hoping he would be right there. Nope. I am yelling his name at the top of my lungs. The whole neighborhood was eerily empty. I went toward his friend Alex's house who he had went to the first time this happened, no sign. Went to the park, no kids. Maybe he looped around & is back at the house, I thought. Wrong. So at this point I am starting to panic, I can feel the lump in my throat & tears welling up in my eyes, thinking I am going to have to call every neighbor & the police next. One last look at the end of my street, I see a couple boys his age playing. I start to feel better. Then I am racking my brain thinking what was he wearing, it was a white shirt. Neither of these boys are wearing white, I can see that from a distance. Oh boy. Then I look at The Young's driveway & there is his bike. It was such a relief & angry feeling all at the same time. I literally wanted to spank his butt up to the moon, but I also wanted to squeeze him. And 2 days in a row, are you kidding me?? It's so not like him. This is my "obedient" child? Oh boy.

Anyways, of course Jamie had tried to call me, but I was on the hunt. He got an even bigger 'talking to' this time & he had big tears rolling down his cheeks the whole time. I grounded him from his bike, friends, video/computer games today. I am so grateful it turned out okay, thanks to my neighbors Lori & Jamie for looking out for him! Another sad part was that after I found him, he said, "I don't think Heavenly Father's prayers work, because I pray every night to choose the right & I just keep choosing the wrong." That led us to another discussion, & I could tell he really felt bad. Hopefully that was the LAST time. It really got me thinking about when he is a teenager~ what if he comes home late from curfew, or just the fact of him driving by himself, I am so not ready for that! I guess this is the part where I should say sorry Mom and Dad! Now I know how it feels, not good at all!

13 comments:

Elliot and Cami said...

How scary! Poor kid just wants some adventure. They are so naive to the dangers of this world! I have a confession to make...many of your posts make me tear up! haha your boys are so sweet!

Brittney said...

well, this post was an emotional rollercoaster! it was like yay...oh no... good... OH NO AGAIN...then laughing at him saying he keeps choosing the wrong! He is so cute and smart. poor buddy, is this his first time being grounded? i cant imagine how you felt when you were searching the neighborhood... i wouldve been screaming too! at least all is well, but hopefully he learned his lesson...again! at least you know your neighbors. do they make GPS Tracking Devices for kids?? they SHOULD! and on a side note, i dont know why i saw bags, you were right, there arent any, but maybe its his droopy eyes? i dont know! but he sure looks EXACTLY like you in that picture! LOL.

Swirls of Happy said...

Oh my! First, that is so AWSOME Brayden was ready for the "big boy bike"! Second, that is so SCARY that he just took off...YIKES! Glad he is ok, I can't imagine the feeling you felt, how AWFUL. He sure is a sweet, cute boy :)

Brooklyn said...

Yeah! Go bray!

Nichols Family said...

Congrats on losing the training wheels. However, oh my goodness....welcome to my life EVERY DAY! I'm soooo glad he's safe and sound. (This happens to me at least once a week in one form or another. I get so scared out of my mind that I should just check myself in to an institution.) That's so cute how he said he kept choosing the wrong...oh, that is a heartbreaker. He's so cute...so glad you have Jamie in the neighborhood on the look out.

Amy Y said...

I totally know the sick feeling in the stomach and lump in the throat. I'm so glad you found him safe and sound.

Boys are so fun the way one day they ask for their training wheels to come off and they just do it... no fear. Hopefully some of his fear is back in tact (not of riding, just of riding away without you knowing where).

Shanen said...

Those are the worst feelings, and hard lessons to learn. Luckily it is a lesson hopefully learned with a happy outcome. But yea for no training wheels. That is just one more step in growing up.

Suni said...

Yea for no training wheels but that is the worst feeling ever when you can't find your kid, I so know how you felt...I lost Abby and I just about freaked out! I am so glad it all turned out okay!!

Angie Whitman said...

It is so amazing how fast they learn, when they are ready! That is so scary when you can't find them. Okay, and Kenzie says the same thing. "Mom, I want to choose the right, but sometimes it hard to make a good choice." It is for us adults, too!:)

Michelle Y. said...

First off, Congratulations Brayden on riding your bike. Second, there is nothing worse than loosing your child. Tanner got into a "running stage" and I am amazed that kid is still alive. That is so sad about "Heavenly Father not answering his prayers..." Trevor has said something like that too and it breaks my heart. I agree with you, it all comes back to us now that we are parents, I really appreciate my parents now! Oh yeah, we have an alarm in our house since we have a pool and I love it. It is so nice to put it on so I know my kids are safe in the morning if they get up before me or when I am taking a shower. I highly reccomend it.

foreveryoung said...

There's something about them learning to ride without training wheels that makes them grow up overnight, it's exciting and sad at the same time. And poor Chels, with the whole "running away" episode. You did so good to keep it all together and I'm glad he was safe. That is the worst feeling for a mother, hopefully you won't have to experience that again. But even when he's naughty, he's still a sweetheart--that comment about the prayers was so sad. What a hard concept to teach.

Anonymous said...

I love him! (And I don't even know him personally!) How sweet that he is trying so hard . . (Sometimes it takes me a while for Heavenly Father to get his points across!)

Bekah: said...

he is such a cute, great kid! he sounds so determined; to just decide he was ready and wanted to go for it. what a great way to live your life! "I'm ready so I'm just going to do it!!"

I love that his new found freedom gave him some temptation... isn't that true with most things in life? Its great that you can help him along and encourage him to make good choices! You are a great mom!