Sunday, December 16, 2007

happy anniversary

Today is our 7 year anniversary. Crazy. I feel so old knowing that I have been married almost a decade now! In fact it hit me a couple weeks ago, the bishop's wife asked me, "So, how Newlywed are you?" I was like, "umm... 7 years?" So funny. Sometimes I feel like it just flew, and other times not. I always pictured us having 1 more kid at this point. But hey, I am not complaining! I like taking my time. We celebrated in true "Oldy-wed" fashion...with no date whatsoever! Although we had good intentions, a babysitter just didn't happen. I thought finally doing the famous wedding tag would be a good tribute!
How did we meet?
Hmm. I guess I knew him long before he knew me. I was a freshman, he was a junior. I had a HUGE crush, he didn't know who I was. Fast forward 3 years, I was a senior, he was graduated. I was working at a department store at the mall & he and a friend happened walk through & he came straight up to me and gave me a big bear hug. I melted. He says he told Marc that day that he would marry me. So maybe he did know who I was after all? Well, butterflies & all, I went straight to my work phone and called my friends & bragged, "guess who just came in here & even gave me a HUG!!!" He ended up asking a mutual friend for my # and that was it. But he never believed me that I had a huge crush all that time until about 5 years after we were married, I found my journal entry that stated, "...Jeremy Figgins is the guy I'm gonna marry. Right now he is a junior & has a girlfriend, but I will marry him. He's PERFECT! Sweet, respectful, funny, good looking, smart, caring, & out-going...." How's that for proof! I was gonna scan it in but it goes on to more embarrassing stuff so I'll end there! And by the way, how did I think I "knew" him so well, seeing as how we never talked! What a NERD I was. Eeek. At least my assumptions turned out to be accurate :)
What was the first thing we said to each other?
No clue. I was way too surprised and nervous. "hi"??
Where was our first date?
to the movies, we saw Austin Powers
Where was our first kiss?
About 3 or 4 dates later, he still had yet to kiss me, so he walked me to the door & I made the move. Hey somebody had to do it.
Long/short engagement?
LONG in mormon years. We got engaged on Labor Day of 99 and then married the following December, 16 2000. Remember, I had to graduate high school first! I was engaged my whole senior year, weird. I don't think I would let my own daughter do that! But thanks Mom and Dad!

Where were we engaged?
At his house, we watched a movie and I fell asleep and next thing I know he kissed me with a ring in between his lips! Then he got down on one knee. Simple and sweet.

Where were we married?
Mesa Temple. It was so special & wonderful.

Reception?
In my best friend's parents backyard. It was December so we had Christmas trees on the porch and lots of lights and of course Waldo's catering. It was beautiful.

Honeymoon?
We were planning on just going to Sedona but at the reception my Dad pulled a fast one & surprised us with 7 days in Hawaii at his timeshare. SOOOOO FUN!! I wish we could go back!
Change anything?
Well...that was 7 years ago! I would have worn my hair down & maybe changed the colors at the reception. (although it was a lovely shade of purple at the time!)

12 comments:

Elliot and Cami said...

What a cute post! I'm glad you guys are still going strong! I can't even imagine being married for 7 years but I'm bet it flies by! You guys seem very happy :)

Heidi Ann said...

ohhhhhh, precious! I can't believe you were engaged in highschool! Cute, cute, cute.

Michelle Y. said...

We've been married for 10 years, now that is forever. You two are so cute and look the exact same. I love the picture of the two of you on the top, who took that and when was it taken? How fun to have a couple picture of the two of you without the kiddos.

Brooklyn said...

YEAH!!!!!!!!!! Happy Anniversary! You two are the CUTEST together! ps, Love that photo on top!!!! So cute CHELS!

Brittney said...

wow, happy anniversary!
7 years.... when i look at those pictures, you look SO young.
you have grown up so much, and just get prettier with age.
thats funny that you both thought you would marry eachother.
jer is the best, and was always the sweetest guy. you really got a good one, but so did he. congratulations chel and jer:)

Shanen said...

Congratulations...happy day. But holy cow your whole senior year??? I can't even imagine that. But it was perfect and obviously right. Good for you guys.

Suni said...

You guys are such a cute family! Happy Anniversary!! Its funny how celebrating changes with kids. I love the picture on the top too!

Tawny Antelman said...

Happy Anniversary you too!!!

I look so young and weird in that picture at your wedding, so does trevor he looks so young and my mom... her outfits kinda crazy. haha i think i would go back and change what i wore and put my hair down too! ha

Swirls of Happy said...

oh my goodnes...could you two be any more perfect for eachother?!!!! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! I can't believe you and Jer have been married 7 years...that is so great! I LOVE all the photos and especially that one up top...too precious!!!!

Sheba Price said...

I love hearing about how you two met! Happy Anniversary! I am still trying to get over that I you were engaged your senior year! You guys are the cutest fam and I love the pictures! Hope you will do something fun soon since I saw you at Walmart that night! You need to celebrate girl! :)

Swirls of Happy said...

Just got your Christmas card...SOOOO CUTE!!!!!!

Kristin said...

Oh such a sweet love story. Thanks for making me smile today! Oh and Happy Anniversary!