I have been procrastinating the day for as long as humanly possible, yes I delayed & made as many excuses as I could... but the day finally came. Brayden has been begging for a PET for a quite some time. I have been telling him for who knows how long, that he needs to show me how responsible he is first. He has been patient & dilligent & he kept his word. His room has been virtually spotless for months. Poor kid! I am so not a pet-person.
Even though a fish doesnt really count, its the closest I could get, and even then I dreaded the arrival. His great grandma sent him $10 for his birthday & I gave him the option to get whatever he wanted... he picked a pet fish. So I took him on a date, we got gelato & then went to pick some new pets. His excitement made me it all worth it. He was completely giddy all night. Oh to be a kid again... I love how the simplest things can just make them so happy. He picked 3 fish, and he named them Mario, Luigi, and Wario. While we were at the register, he said, "Maybe we should send Grandma Judd a thank you note, and tell her that we spent the money on my fish." Sweetness. The part I hate the most is cleaning the bowl, so gross, and it smells... but dangit, he deserves those fish!

12 comments:
Okay, you had me worried--for a second I thought you were referring to "some slimy, slightly stinky new addition" as the slimy and more than slightly stinky addition to your lawn! ha, ha! Poor Chels, I hope you had a better rest of the day...I'll call you tomorrow and get the lowdown. Anyways...you are such a good mom to give in to the fish, but when you have a boy as sweet as that, how could you not?? I mean what other 5 yr. old boy has time to think about thank you cards??
I totally know how you feel. Trevor has been begging for a pet too. My parents have a dog and 2 cats so I tell my boys that they have pets at grandma's house (those are the best kind, the one's you visit and you don't have to clean up their poop). Everytime I go home my parents beg and threaten to give us their dog. If I do give in to a dog I want it to be when I am done having kids since a dog is like having another child. A fish is my kind of pet too. It is sad because Craig and I were both raised with all the pets we wanted and we loved pets when we were little and now we both hate them.
Oh! Jerron was looking at te pictures and is delaring he now wants a fish named Boo. Hah! I love what Bray named them. What a little love. It is so sweet he is thinking of thankyou notes. Sounds like a great bday present and a very special date. ps, Jerron killed his fish by keeping the lamp on over the bowl. So beware, of not cooking them like we did on accident. Yikes!
How SWEET!!!! First, I love that he named his fish after Mario Party(too cute), Second, I love that you take him on "dates"...such a good little mama, and third, I Love that he knows what a "thank you note" is...too adorable!!! Good luck with the slimy clean up...what we do for our children!
You are good mom, but certainly a fish is far less messy that just about anything else. Maybe cleaning out the bowl can be one of his chores. You get it to the sink and he cleans it. My girls love the sink scrubber. Just a thought.
ohhhh the fishiesss!!!
have fun with cleaning the fish bowl, i wouldnt want to do that either, you guys should get a huge fish aquarium in your wall like you talked about in cali!
I know what you mean. I refuse to have pets and yet kids just seem to want them! Good for you for breaking down. Kale got sea monkeys for his birthday and is so delighted with them. What they are I have no idea except I think we may be raising parasites. Ha! What we do for our kids, right? :)
And those pictures of your kids are so cute at Halloween. Kosten does not look like a girl! He is soo cute!
You are a great mom! I think our house will never have any type of pet. Nate and I are anti- every type of animal you can imagine.
I think you need to write a parenting book. All your dates and the cute things your kids say.
good for you. every kid needs a pet, and a fish was the best thing to get. just remember when cleaning their water, never dump it ALL out, keep about 60% of their water, and dump out the rest. they will live longer when they arent stressed, and they get stressed when they have their eco-system disturbed. all you gotta do is scoup them out, or pour them into a cup with the water, and dump out the poop which will usually be on the bottom of the bowl. just plug your nose. you can do it. i know you can. did you get dechlore for the water? k, enough.. just a few tips. i love his names. i didnt know mario bros was still "in". talk to you later. sorry we got disconnected today.
You are a good mom! I keep going back and forth on the whole pet issue. I think they are great for kids but...but...but then there are so many BUTS! We almost bought a puppie three weeks ago...hopefully I can get one more year in before I break down!!
I'm sure your boys LOVE the fish! I will most likely have to break down one of these days as well... Keith and the girls love dogs and have been talking about it for years! Right now my excuse is we have a baby on the way and there's no way I'm doing baby/dog duty both! I really like your fish idea!
There are a few things I don't miss about my kids getting older. Pets are one of them! Jeff brought home several dogs through the years. I could stand it for just a while, and then I actually felt sorry for them because nobody would give them enough attention. Luckily grandpa had the horses, dogs, cows, etc. on the "farm" for the kids. I don't know what we will do for the grandkids
maybe a turtle!
Post a Comment