Monday, May 7, 2007

The end of MISERY!



Two weeks of utter MISERY later, and I am one happy girl! Apparently I have been living under a rock. But now, I can proudly say that 19 months later, my little one is finally an independent sleeper, NO BOTTLES, NO BINKY'S, NO ROCKING, and NO BOOB! and NO MORE CRYING! (the best part). Please excuse my over excitement, as this is probably normal to most of you, but not in my house. My kids have both been SPOILED to death as far as sleeping goes. I can discipline all day long with zero guilt, but something about when the sun goes down, I morph into a freakin' doormat for my baby to walk all over. And don't even get me started on Jer, total WUSS! So I had heard about the horrifying "Cry it Out" methods before, and I would just scoff at the idea. I never in my wildest dreams would have thought I would nor could do it. I thought it was so cruel. But oh no. After a full week of Kosty partying till basically midnight, it did me in. I knew something needed to happen or I was off to the insane asylum. And since I couldn't think of any around here, I did the next best thing. I went to Barnes and Noble and literally had about 8 different books in a pile, I narrowed it down and took my 2 selections to the counter, where even the clerk had her own advice for me, "you might as well put them both back if you can't be tough!" But the straw had already broken the camel's back, and I was on a mission. I laid him down for a nap when we got home, and tried to speed read through the book, but I couldn't even concentrate. He screamed for almost 2 hrs straight. The first week I was an emotional wreck. It was probably the hardest thing I've had to do. I dreaded nap and bed time. But I was DESPERATE. Once he started getting the sleep he needed, he instantly became a happier boy, he started eating better, his attention span grew, and he was way less irritable. (Which, DUH! evidently he was showing all signs of an overtired child, hello!) Wow, hard lesson learned, and I WILL NOT make the same mistake with my third! (if that ever happens,eek) FREEDOM! Now I can actually enjoy my evenings with my husband, my shows, and my computer. :)

10 comments:

Brooklyn said...

Way to go Chels! Who ever said motherhood was easy?! No one! It's so hard! Way to stick to your guns! Good job on the no boobs either. I'm sure someone else will enjoy them! Just kidding! Do hate my bluntness?! Your an awsome mom!

Becky said...

You are too funny! Brooke...i laughed out loud at that one! Your a tough one! Good for you! It is hard to let them cry....i am righ there with you. But it just makes for a better sleep i think...cry for a while, get even MORE tired and then pass out. :) GREAT! :) Love baby wise! read it before mylie was even born!

Chelsea said...

ha ha, thanks for that Brooke! Becky, see I told you I was living under a rock, you read it before you even had a kid!!? Why did no one tell me about this!!?

Brooklyn said...

I thought you'd like that! I'll see ya Thursday! We will have matching tankinis! Only you will look better in yours!

Heidi said...

I have heard of Baby Wise and need to go get it. I am bound and determined to get it right when this baby comes. I am glad you are past that emotional week. Sometimes I think it is harder for the mom.

foreveryoung said...

You crack me up, I love the way you write! So was last night a success too? What a huge milestone--yea!!

Brooklyn said...

Hey Chels! It's friday night, and I just got your email, I sent one to you so check our mail inbox. Love ya!

Sheba Price said...

Way to go Chels! No one will ever tell you how to raise your kids! Maybe your Mother but people like to see you figure it out yourself unless you ask for help. You should of seen me when I brought Tayler home from the hospital. I was a complete mess. I thought this was going to be easier than it really was. I mean I was healing on one end and a milk factory on the other! Boy was I in for a reality check! You live and learn and sometimes you learn the hard way huh?

Brooklyn said...

Happy Mommy day! Your a great momma! I'm sure Jeremy will give you an extra special day! He always does!

Swirls of Happy said...

Ok, my cousin told me about that Baby Wise book and I am soooo getting it today! I have to start getting Bentley on a schedule when he starts his 6 weeks...I am going nuts! I have never had such bad dark circles in my life (the term Beauty rest really means something)!!!