Sunday, February 16, 2014

Koston's baptism


























What a good day it was! Kosty had been gearing up for his baptism and started being extra sweet & mature the weeks that led up to his big day. That's a cool change to see happen. 8 is a special age and I get to see a lot of 8 year olds prepare for baptism, its always confirmed to me that eight is the age for a clear reason. Just enough innocence but enough knowledge to make the choice. I think 8 year olds are my very favorite. But I'm pretty sure I say that about every age, so....

In true Kosty fashion, he scoffed at the idea and the pleading for him to wear a suit for his pictures. Then the day before the baptism he suddenly had to have a suit. I was a little more than thrilled to see him in it. The baptism and confirmation went great, and its a special day as a parent to watch as your child makes that first big step following our Savior. 

As soon as we got home for the luncheon, he ripped off his suit, so its just him in his pjs' for those pictures. We had chili and cornbread and "8" sugar cookies again. Not an empty food table like the one in the picture ;) We had our family over for hours, and Kosty enjoyed it so much. I asked him to write his feelings about his day so he would have a memory when he forgot someday. He wrote on a notecard, "Heavy. Then light." 

A few days after his baptism he seemed really angry and quick tempered, moody, and irrational. I'm so thankful for the prompting I had one night to scoop him up in his angry "pretend sleep" so that I could tell him a few things about repentance and baptism. He is a little prideful so I knew he was pretending to be asleep so he didn't have to fight me and avoid the conversation. It made it easier actually. So I took him to our old rocking chair in the spare room and told him I knew he wasn't really asleep so he could hear me and I told him that after baptism he probably sinned, like everyone does. The prompting was that he was severely disappointed in himself and thought he ruined being "clean." I got to talk to him about how we all sin after baptism but that the whole purpose of the Atonement is that we can repent. None of us stay clean after our baptism forever. I talked quite a bit about it and then took him back to his bed. I read all the notecards that his friends and family had written on his baptism day and he instantly changed his demeanor. It seemed like a heavy load came off and he was so sweet and happy. I'm so thankful for that experience with him. Now when I get to visit kids getting baptized I make much less focus on being clean and way more focus on the afterwards. 

1 comment:

foreveryoung said...

Oh man, you are always so inspiring as a mother, as a friend and just as a person. I love that little teaching moment, one I'm sure he'll not soon forget, and a reminder to me to take advantage of moments like that with my own kids. Thank you. And he is such a handsome kid, but seeing him in that suit with his hair perfectly combed just did me in. You know I'm forever on team Kosty. He is looking so much like Brayden as he gets older. So nice to be surrounded by so many family members on special occasions like this. Missing you lots lately!