I've been doing very poorly on documenting life! Even if there are no pictures or events, I know I still need to journal.
Yesterday, I had a serious and sad conversation with the boys. Kosty and I were out front and he was playing with the hose. I noticed my neighbor who lives across & a few houses down come out of her backyard gate and slam the door. Then I heard her little girl crying on the other side. She was honking this little horn on her bike and crying, "Mommy, Mommy!" The mom sat down and lit up a cigarette, ignoring her. I watched as she took deep inhales and exhales, ignoring her baby on the other side of the gate who obviously felt confused & abandoned. She continued to cry, honk and yell out "mommy" to no avail. Eventually, the mom said, "stop it! go ride your bike." Kosty was wide eyed and we were both very upset to see this go on. He looked at me and said, "I think that baby wants her mom, why won't she open the gate?" It broke my heart. I brought him in and I sat them both at the kitchen table. I told them how heartbreaking it was to watch this scene out front and then I explained to them that the mom is not a bad person, but becoming addicted to something like cigarettes, leaves you selfish. Once you are addicted, you no longer have choices, you are a slave to the addiction. You can't think about the baby who needs you, or anyone else in that moment, because your body 'needs' to get the next cigarette, etc..
Anyway, it led right into the Word of Wisdom and I told them how much Heavenly Father wants us to take care of our bodies and doesn't want us to try these things even once, we don't know our strength, and we don't know what we will become addicted to and what we won't. I made them promise to always keep their bodies clean and pure, and free from the things that could trap them. Brayden promised right away, and I promised them as well that I would never become addicted to anything so that I could be the best mom I knew how. In true Kosty fashion, always keeping me on my toes, he asked me, "could I like, try it once?"

3 comments:
Chelsea, great lessons to be teaching your kids. I loved how you put it... so simple, but direct. I will be using this story as an example in my next fhe lesson on the word of wisdom.:)
What a great Example you are to me, and to your boys! I LOVE this story! Love you for sharing it!
What a great teaching moment, I'm sure one they will never forget. And Kosty...hahahaha!
Post a Comment