Wednesday, December 3, 2008

details

Photobucket

It doesn't matter how many times I have read this quote. It makes me tear up every single time.

“…the biggest mistake I made is the
one that most of us make…I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of the three of [my children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages 6, 4, and 1. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less.”
--Anna Quindlen


Sometimes I get in a rut of thinking a blog post has to be about something exciting or new that we did. But I know that those aren't the sort of things I am going to want to remember most. Its the normal, day to day moments that I want to keep forever. So...

Today, Kosty and I went to the lake to feed the ducks. Sometimes I feel like all I ever do while Brayden is at school is run to the grocery store/ the bank/ random errands. I need to do more of just Kosty activities. Today was all about him. He thought it was hilarious when the fish came up and stuck their big lips out of the water to eat the bread we were throwing. He laughed at the duck that's neck was twisted around and beak was buried into its feathers. Then he wanted to play on the playground but kept saying, "where's my friends?" EVERY single time we go to any park, he wants to play hide and seek. But he doesn't really "hide", nor does he "seek" very well. And if you act like you can't find him, which usually he is in plain view, he will simply shout, "HERE I AM!" He cracks me up. When we were leaving the park I asked him what his favorite part was, and he said, "the funny fish and the see-saw." The whole way home, he jabbered away about what color every character was from Sesame Street & Spongebob, and he kept saying "I can't nember!"

When we got home he wanted to wear his Harry Potter robe and watch cartoons while he ate his Ramen noodles and fresh pineapple. He sat on the counter while I cooked his Ramen. He always sits on the counter while I cook. "Little Bear" was on, and it triggered his memory of when he watched it about a month or so ago after he touched the hot pan, and he got a little burn. He said, "Nember, I got an owie and got some vitamins, an watched Little Bear las time?"

After dinner, we made chocolate chip cookies, and he got to lick "this fing" (the mixer spatula) as he called it over and over. He licked and licked for probably 30 minutes straight. Then we "danced" in the kitchen to Christmas music, and I got to rotate dance partners between him and Bray. I taught them both to say, "can I cut in?" and boy, did it ever sound cute coming out of his little three year old mouth. Anything does.

I get so emotional thinking of the day when he is grown, and I don't have that permanent memory in my head like I do now, of his cute little face, and petite hands & feet, and the way he talks. It literally just makes me cry. I know I have pictures to remember his looks, but I mainly want to remember how he looks, how he sounds, and what he talked about. I want to preserve this precious boy. My memories are so vivid NOW, but no matter how much I think I really will remember certain things, I won't. So that is why I am determined & committed to writing more of these day to day moments. I know it will be one of the best things I ever did.

*(sorry, but its really late. I always get sappy/sentimental/emotional when its late).

15 comments:

Jenna Lee said...

Sweet post.... you are a good momma. And I must agree with Tawny on the post before, Brayden looks so old.... holy cow he looks like he has all grown up since I have seen him and it has only been a month....crazy. And I love that the elfs visited him... jers parents are so good to the boys!!

Tawny Antelman said...

I agree very sweet post!! You are a very fun MOMMA with your kids!!!

Anonymous said...

I love that quote so much! I have it posted on my mirror! I enjoy sappy/sentimental posts! Utah looked so enjoyable! FuN TiMeS!

Brittney said...

awe, we both were emotional over our babies growing up....we must be sisters.
its so true, i wanna capture everything silly, sweet, funny, heartwarming thing she does. and even though writing it down does seem to make me feel better, its inevitable that one day we wont remember as vividly and it breaks my heart, and i cry about it too! maybe we felt like our childhood memories were forgotten? but i am so glad i can document these little things and at least try my hardest not to forget! good times at the park today and i wanna go with you next time to feed the fishies, libster would love that.

foreveryoung said...

That's it, I'm turning off the computer and going to play with Jayden who has been parked in front of the tv for the past hour. Thanks for the reminder of the importance of keeping my priorities straight!

MommyRohner said...

LOVE this post! Thanks for being so introspective and reminding me to write down the little things.

Suni said...

So sweet and so true...I wish I could just freeze time right now and keep my girls little! Selfish I know but true!

Brooklyn said...

I could not agree more Chels! it is the day to day moments.... Just like the quote reads "Life happens when you are busy making other plans". You have inspired me to jot more of the simple things down. Thanks Chels. Such a wonderful woman/mommy you are. And also, thankyou for lunch. I needed to see your pretty smile!

Brooklyn said...

ps, Jer loves to collect rocks too! So cute :) and I adore Bray's hair in those pictures!

Michelle Y. said...

Love this post so much! I love how good you are about recording exactly how he talks. I love the quote too. I am so sad my boys are growing up too. I just saw a home video of Trevor when he was one year old and it seemed like a different person and I can hardly remember him ever that way, I am so used to him being 7. I am so sad about that, I never want to forget anything about all of these precious stages they are in when they are little.

Jaime S. said...

chel,
it was so cool of you, brit and steph to come to dan's wedding. especially you since you had just gone on a long road trip to utah. dan and the rest of us really appreciated it. you guys are awesome
jaime

Brooke and Brett Martin said...

That was great Chels. Thanks for the good reminder to sloooow things down in our lives. That is CONSTANTLY on my mind too. Thanks- I'm going to have a great SIMPLIFIED slowed down week due to this post. Can't wait to see you Saturday!

The Neilson Times said...

What a great post, I loved reading it! Thanks for the reminder, I get all sappy/sentimental too when it's late:)

foreveryoung said...

Did I miss something or did you add these pictures later?? I LOVE the first one, was that with Sadie's camera? If that's not enough to make you want to get your new camera, than I don't know what is.

foreveryoung said...

Sorry, "Cede", not "Sadie"