Friday, December 27, 2013

dream come true







Watermelon is one of the ultimate highlights of summer for me. And it nearly kills me that my own child won't have anything to do with it (kosty). My sister grew watermelons (in her front yard!) a couple years ago and we were all so surprised that they actually grew, and grew a ton. So this spring, when we planted our first veggie garden, she gave me the seeds and told me to plant them far away from the garden because the vine grows crazy huge. So we did, and it was slow at first. But then that vine grew like crazy and we were picking 2 watermelons a week all summer long. The vine took up the entire side yard and would've grew for miles if it weren't for fencing. It broke my heart this week (in december!) that we are having to throw the leftover watermelons away now. They are tricky to pick but not to grow. And the ones on the vine that were left after peak season, never fully ripened or else they probably suffered from the freeze and they were out of season. We will end up throwing away 10 or so, but we picked (and ate) more than that so I guess that will have to console me till next summer. Oh, and they were the best tasting watermelons I've ever had! I tell everyone now to grow them, knowing how easy and hearty the vine grows. Just a little water every day and that's it. Till next summer! 

1 comment:

foreveryoung said...

We are soooo doing this when we get back! I am on team watermelon with you and it kills me that they don't have any here! It's just not summer without them. I can't believe how many you got, that is crazy and rewarding!