Day 5 highlights:
-Breakfast at Boudin, said my goodbyes. I was growing attached.
-Bus ride down to visit the Painted Ladies, it was so weird to see those houses in person that I saw every friday night on TV for half my life! They looked different in person, but looked the same in pictures. I realize that makes no sense at all, but in person I would maybe have walked or driven past them without recognizing them, but in pictures, there is no mistaking the Full House setting.
-Another bus ride to Mission District for mexican food!
-Walking around Mission made me feel like I was actually in Nogales, Mexico. I didn't like it much there at all. It was dirty and people had warned us over and over about pick pocketing. I was nervous and clutching my purse the whole time. But we staked our restaurant and it did not disappoint! Jeremy and I both thought it was the best mexican ever. And it was super cheap. And they had a huge salsa bar with every salsa imaginable. Yum, yum, yum. Mexican: check!
-Walked to Tartine Bakery (got lucky the last two places I wanted to eat were really close to each other) So beautiful and delicious were our chocolate fudge and tres leeches cake slices.
-Back to the bus stop and had to run, bus took forever and stopped a bazillion times, making us miss our appt with the airport shuttle. At this point, we were DONE with buses. The last bus we rode was cram packed with hundreds of people, we were nose to nose with strangers. It was very awkward and stuffy and uncomfortable. People were rude and calling other people names, lots of attitude from teenagers, people in the door jam because there was no where else to go, causing the door to not open or close. I wanted to SCREAM QUIT PICKING PEOPLE UP! People did not care that there was no room, they just kept getting on at every stop. And making it worse was the crazy driver, we were holding on for dear life as she slammed her brakes at every stop. Also there was a man with a lighter and a sack of weed that he was twisting around and round, and lighting his lighter over and over like he just couldn't stand 5 more minutes without some. Very weird to see coming from good old Gilbert.
-After missing our shuttle, we decided we would never want to live in a city that you depended on public transit. You have no control of time, and I didn't like that feeling. I would go nuts not being able to just hop in my car at my own free will. Could never have done the city thing without Jer--he was always studying the map and bus routes & stops & times. It was a yucky job but he was awesome.
-Plane ride home had 20 passengers total. We sprawled out and took naps. Brayden had asked us to bring him back one thing: airplane pretzels. But they didn't pass them out. So Jer went and asked the Flight Attendant and she gave him an entire bag full. Maybe 50 packs of pretzels. Brayden was thrilled.
We felt like we did everything we wanted to in SanFran, and so we were ready. 5 days was perfect. So grateful to be home. Kosty spent the next week being as sweet as can be to me, which never happens, he held my hand-- in public--at school, requested me for bed time books, hugged me, talked to me, happy to see me when he came home, etc etc. That lasted one week. Oh, it was precious though. I kind of want to leave again just for this purpose. Absence sure made his heart grow fonder.
Jer's sister Cede, and her husband Mark, came and stayed with the kids and were the best babysitters. (I think I mentioned that earlier?) We came home to a clean house, happy kids, clean sheets, made beds. They cooked and took them out for ice cream, had FHE with them, Mark brought home giant paper to make paper airplanes, and more. Grandma took them to soccer and to church on Sunday. So so so grateful to them. Couldn't have done it without them. It felt so good knowing that they were in our home, in their own beds, with their usual routines. It made it so easy to be gone.





1 comment:
I kind of want to go and do a carbon copy of your exact trip, it sounds (and looks) perfect-minus public transit. And yes, sometimes the best part of leaving is coming home, sweet Kosty :)
Post a Comment