Sunday, April 22, 2012

school 5k.



The boys school hosted their first "family wellness 5k" and I happily signed us up. Their school is really good about not over doing fundraisers. They only have two per year and the other is a Read a thon. I am happy to sign up for a fun family day like this that involves fresh air and exercise and not obnoxious cookie dough selling. Only bummer was that it happened to be on the same day that Jer's brother Zach was going through the temple, and so jer needed to be with him instead. Brayden was super excited at the starting line, it was cute to watch his anticipation as they counted down and blared the horn. Right before that happened, he said, "Sorry, but is it ok if I leave you guys in the dust?!" YES! Kosty was apprehensive about the whole thing and I was worried he would hate it, so I was really happily surprised when he took off running fast and excited. Sadly, after about 5 minutes, he came to a complete halt. Brayden was in the lead as far as I could see him. I was sad when he was no longer in view, but happy he was running. He told me later that he never took a break or slowed down, I'm curious how quickly he was finished. That will forever remain a mystery though, because for the next 5 hours, I was about to rip my hair out with impatience for Kosty. He not only stopped jogging, he slowed down to about crawl speed. He would never even walk that slow in real life. It was torture. Any time I asked him to pick up the pace, just a little, he would stop and then walk even sloooower. He would not let me pick him up either. There were babies and seniors passing us up. He stopped to pick up every piece of "treasure" (broken glass) and even picked up a real bone and carried it the whole way. I could not believe it was a 5k route. It felt like 26 miles. I don't remember exactly how long it took, but all I know is that we were the last people to cross the finish line out of hundreds. 


Brayden insisted we stay until all the raffle prize winners were announced. He was SURE he would win out of his class because there were only 6 names in the basket and 3 of them were his. His teacher's raffle was the LAST to be announced out of the entire school. We were the very last people remaining, and when the PTO president announced the last prize winner, she looked at us with such pity. Brayden was not the winner, and boy, was he disappointed. He was SO SURE he would win. Moments like that make me think, coooome on. 


All in all, a good experience, I think....Brayden caught the race bug, and he asked me if he could sign up for more 5ks and work his way up. Oh, I must mention Kosty's bone. When he was holding it, it was covered in dirt and I wasn't even sure if it was real or not. When we got back, he washed the bone with soap and dried it with a paper towel and asked me to hold it. About 10 minutes later, I got a whiff of complete stench. When I took a closer look, it still had animal hair on it, and the smell was horrific. Kosty was sad when I told him I needed to throw it away, but when I let him get a sniff to prove my point, he was more than happy to toss it. Fun day. 

1 comment:

foreveryoung said...

Ok, I am totally cracking up the whole time I'm reading this. Your boys and their personalities seriously kill me. And I won't lie, THE image of us at the color run kept popping into my head too. Let's bring the kids to that next year, and while we're at it, let's remember to watch out for the cameras next year too.